Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Competition vs cooperation
Last year I was in both the catfish and ice fishing contests. I had never fished for cats and had a steep learning curve ahead of me. A lot of people shared their knowledge and expertise with me and now I feel fairly competent and somewhat competitive. I have ice fished for years but I learned a great deal more last year during the contest thanks to a bunch of guys who took me fishing and educated me. Here's my question: how competitive and how cooperative should we be? I tend to make complete reports on my fishing trips, right down to the color of the specific lure and the size and shape of the bait. I like to share and pass on what I have learned. But what about in the contest? Should we hold our cards close to our vests? Should we keep what we caught and where, to some degree, to ourselves? I distinctly dislike the attitude that says, "I had to learn it all by myself--good luck." I'm just looking for opinions. I posted some fish in the contest last week and withheld the name of the lake where they were caught. I wasn't trying to be cagey; the ice was far from ready to be fished on but we found a way to be safe; we didn't want to encourage anyone to go there thinking that it was all ready to go. Otherwise I would have been happy to share what we did. Am I being too open?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Messages In This Thread
Competition vs cooperation - by catchinon - 12-10-2019, 10:42 PM