Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of auger drill choices . . .
8" auger drill bit pretty big for just a 500lb torque drill. 6" to 7" is about right. I use a 7" razor on Ryobi 750lb drill have no problem. Drill all day. I use 6ah battery. When I was using the 4ah it struggled after few holes. Alot of the drills and batteries have heat circuit that when batteries get too hot it will start cutting out the drill. You need bigger torque bigger battery and less drill size. I use a 8" once in a while of laker fishing but I am not popping a bunch of holes with it.
[signature]
You bought the wrong drill. It doesn't have enough torque.

Cordless Drill Minimum Requirements: (as per k-drill)

You can use any cordless drill brand you choose, as long as it meets or exceeds the following minimum requirements:
Side Stabilizer Arm (for a secure two-handed grip)
1/2” Drill Chuck
18 Volt/4 Amp Lithium Ion Battery (or higher)
Brushless Motor Design
500-750 RPM with a minimum of 725 in/lbs or 820 UWO of torque

The brushless design will help prevent the heat. Maybe you can trade up to the Milwaulkee M18 model 2804 brushless Fuel drill with 1200 in/lb torque. also consider higher amp-hour batteries. 5 AH is the ones that I use.
[signature]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I'm a total newby to the power drill ice auger but you'll need more torque the larger the auger diameter. On top of that smaller batteries for tools don't actually deliver the same power. I got a new Ryobi air pump for $24. I tried it with the 1.6 ah battery and the gauge barely moved. Switched to the 4 ah and it quickly filled my tire. Now I'm not sure if a larger battery pack was your answer as I wonder if you would have overheated your drill even quicker with the powerboost. I assume you did have to set to the drill setting.
From what I've read drills in the 500 in lbs range are probable only acceptable (not ideal) for augers not more than 5 or 6 inches in diameter.
Ignore the one size fits all with torque and augers- that ignores physics. The increase torque needed is probable closer to radius squared than just the linear increase of circumference. If that is correct you need nearly 1000 in lb for an 8 in auger to be comparable to 550 with a 6 inch one.
[signature]
Also, be sure that you have the speed switch, on the drill, set to the slowest speed.
[signature]
Thank you all for your responses. It is what I kinda figured--I bought the wrong friggin drill and have too big of an auger! Yes, I had it on drill and slow speed so that was not the issue--but thanks for the suggestions.
[signature]
I used the Kobalt last year. Does the job and at $99 it is a nice value. Git the 4ah battery and it lasts all day.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]Earlier this month I purchased that same Ryobi (P252) for similar reasons. That is a brushless Drill. I got it for $69 without battery on Amazon.

I thought I'd give an early NM ice fishing (they just opened the Fenton Lake for ice fishing here in NM 10 days ago) report.
Crazy but they didn't open it until it had 13-14 inches of ice.
Anyways the $69 Ryobi with a 4 amp battery and a 5 inch Mora auger went through 16-18 inches of ice like butter. I only drilled 4 holes but none of those holes took more than 10 seconds except the one I did by hand. The one by hand maybe took 30-40 seconds I'm guessing.
Given my limited places to ice fish that may be it for me this season unless I can get away on a weekday. I don't think I've ever shared a lake with anyone but my son ice fishing in Utah. There was at least a 100 people spread over roughly 20 acres on this little reservoir. The fishing was slow but steady. Myself and the dozens nearby were all averaging about a fish an hour. They were mostly measly 10-12 inch bows. The lake does have beautiful Rio Grande Cutts but I didn't see anyone catch any. Beautiful sunny day that didn't require a coat but sunscreen was a must. I can drive 30 minutes less and catch more fish on the stream below without even dealing with snow or ice.
[signature]
Thanks for the report on your Ryobi drill, to give it a really good test, you need to drill as many holes as you can, just so you know your limits. Have you moved to NM?
[signature]
Yes, I moved to NM back in August. The 4 holes is the most I've ever drilled. The battery did read fully charge after that but that's not surprising as it didn't even run for 30 seconds total. Still considering getting a 9 amp hour battery this spring for yard work. No hurry as the prices are slowly coming down.
[signature]