Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua - this morn
Buddy & I snuck up to Mantua this morn from 7-11, before both of us had to be home. Ice a solid 7" and cloudy. Got rained on the first hour or two, but 40-deg,
so not cold at all. Thank God for goretex & cleats. Walked out from the ramp and stopped to fish in 19'. Nothing going, so kept moving east until we actually found some cooperative gills, perch & trout after treking a loooong way to get over 18',
mid-lake. Kept 15 perch, 8-10", and a dozen eater gills. Let twice as many go that didn't qualify. Got some fish here & there moving east, nearly to the knoll, then worked our way back and snatched a few more from our best spot. The multi-colored spikes I mail-ordered from Knutsen's were the ticket. Put 3 of those on almost anything and they stay on, fish after fish. Waxies & perch strips also garnered some fish. Perch were bottom-feeders, while most of the gills we got had to be teased 3-4' up off the bottom. One gill atop the ice spit out 4 bloodworms, 1/2"- 3/4" in length. Not sure about the parking when we arrived in the dark, so we played it safe. But it did lookas tho nearly a dozen cars were parked along the southern road in the SE corner.
[signature]
Sounds like you did good. Good thing you did not go out from the South side, they are giving out tickets for anyone parking there now[crazy].
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]Sounds like you did good. Good thing you did not go out from the South side, they are giving out tickets for anyone parking there now[crazy].[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Hmmmm! It seems to me that there are a couple of signs along the south dike road - one on either side of the stairs - that have an arrow pointing towards the stairs that say no parking. That would indicate to me that if you park in the opposite direction from the arrow, you would be good to go. Or did I missed read the signs? I wasn't paying close attention my only trip up there this year when I parked outside the signs, but that's what I remember.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]I plan on taking my snowmobile up next week to be a little more mobile and pulling my NEW Nanook XL Thermal flip. [cool]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Read my post on, "Barney is at it again at Mantua", I even took a pic of that sign because it just isn't clear. In the past you could park there as long as you don't park between the signs.
[signature]