Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum 12/26
Have some friends coming tomorrow to fish so decided to go do a pre-fish and see if they were still hanging around the same place off of swim beach that Jeff and I hit last week. As I get to the parking area I see Jeff is out also so unloaded and headed out to him to see if he minded some company. I moved out past him to some deeper water and drilled some holes with the new auger set up in 17’ of h2o. Action was pretty steady with a little slow down for about 45 mins, had around 10 doubles along with all the singles, ended up keeping 5 or 6 for dinner of the larger ones. I fished a tear drop jig under a slip bobber with a very small piece of crawler just off the bottom. Water that was on the ice from the previous day rain has all frozen and ice is around 4” and looks to be all clear as before. Big thanks to all who were discussing augers/drills in the other thread, decided to go with a k-drill and a Fuel drill that Santa brought to the house, man does that make punching holes a breeze. Great fishing with Jeff again and got to see his underwater camera in action.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I hope you do well tomorrow with your friends.

I am still chomping at the bit, waiting for my wife to get over the pneumonia. She wants to go as much as I do.

Keep on catchen
[signature]
I am pretty sure it will be our Saturday goto spot - cause, ya know - why not wait until its really crowded.
[signature]
Thanks we should have fun even if the fish don’t bite like today. Hope your wife gets better soon and you can get out
[signature]
Lance
There hasn’t been that many people out on the ice so far, I check it daily on the way up to our lot/house build. Hopefully the crowd doesn’t show up for awhile longer. Good luck Sat, I may swing out and say high
Alan
[signature]
My son and I decided to get out again today, though we got a bit later start than on Monday. We got there about 11, and drilled about 8 holes to check depth and be ready when we found a good one. Josh said he was getting bites as soon as his bait got to the bottom, and he had 3 on the ice before I got one in a very short time. At his invitation, I moved to his second hole and never really looked back. We each fished just one rod and had no time for a second.
On previous visits, it felt like we had to wait for schools to come through, but today the action was fast and consistent the entire time we were there.
We fished in 18 FOW, and night crawlers were our bait of choice on a simple tungsten jig. I did try a wax worm left from Monday, but it was picked off as soon as I got it down. A strip of salted perch belly from Saturday was effective, but not quite as much as the crawlers. We took 2 dozen home, thinking we would share with family. Perch fillets seem to be one of those things where it doesn't seem like there are enough until suddenly there is an abundance. It's hard to estimate just the right number when you don't know how many people will be eating.
We are planning to be back with a couple of daughters and a new ice tent tomorrow, so we hope they are still as active.
I wish I had known you and Jeff were there, I'd have come by to visit for a minute. I don't think I've met you, and it sounds like Jeff has all the toys to check out.
[signature]
I will be at the swim beach tomorrow out past the eastern buoy at the beach, should be there around 7:40ish. Stop by and say high or more then welcome to join us. My ice sled has the fish finder mounted to it so it should be easy to ID. Hope to see you and meet tomorrow
Sounds like you had the same type of action I did, 2 poles were almost to much trouble lol.

Cooked up the perch tonight, 1st time ever eating it, man was it good

Alan
[signature]
Great report, thank you. I hope to make it up there sometime.
[signature]
Hey Alan great report, you really rolled the fish today. I started off with my jiggers going and only caught a couple, so I put the camera down and seen the problem. The fish were taking it but not tripping the jackers they were biting really light. So I went to hand jigging and then with the camera I could target the bigger fish. It worked really well for awhile then they got finicky around 9:30 and I ended up having to copy Alan’s rig so I could see the light bites. Daylight got too bright to see the camera screen so the bobber was the trick. I got 5 over 9.5” and 6 smaller and a 15” bow and had to quit at 11:30 so it was fun even though Alan was catching 3 or 4 fish to my one. Later Jeff
[signature]