Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Derby at East Canyon?
I saw they are planning to hold an Ice Fishing Derby at East Canyon on 11 January (see attached), but from the reports I've read, I am just not sure they will have safe ice for it if they haven't starting icing up yet.
Here is the ten day forecast. Single digit lows and only 2 days with a high above freezing...my bet is it is safe for the tournament.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]On Friday, the east & south hollows were capped. The main lake was completely open except for a little ice along the edges. While it might be fully capped by the 11th of January, I would question whether it will be SAFELY capped. But the hollows will be probably be safe.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Over the years I have tried to keep track of the long-term temperature averages. From the info I gathered it appears that the coldest day of the year is approximately January 10. FWIW. And the hottest is a few days after the 24th of July.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

They will hold it anyway. There was just some ice in the bays and Taylor hollow last year. Much like it is now and should improve slightly with the forcast[Smile]
[signature]
East Canyon State Park has a Facebook page and they posted a picture saying the lake was completely capped.

The individual Facebook pages of the State Parks are a good way to keep up with current conditions. It does seem like some pages stay more up to date than others.

Hope this helps!
[signature]
I just called East Canyon State Park and the nice gentleman there confirmed that the lake capped a couple of days ago and that people have been fishing on marginal ice in the bays for a couple of weeks. He expects that with the cold weather the whole lake will be safe to fish in a week from now.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.