Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton Report - Cookie hits on her first ice run
YES !!!

It Happened !!!!!!

Cookie put her feet on ice for the first time in pursuit of fish critters!!!!!

Only a few mild screams when the ice cracked and one jump up from the chair and head for the rocks, on a particularly big pop.

Hit Newton. Was way late getting things done at home so only got a few late afternoon hrs on the hard water. Was planning to get to Hyrum, also, but did not happen due to our very late start.

Newton ice was a strong 4"+ and stable along the dam where we tried our hand. We fished starting on the west side, and worked 3 hole out each time we moved along the dam face: so was fishing between 12 and 32 ft of water on each move.

Used the deeper chirp sonar. No Crappie schools located. Did see some humps on the bottom but not a lot. Still was helpful to pick holes to work longer. Wished Jeff would have been on the water, with his camera. Would have loved to see what keep tickling my ice flies, that I kept missing. Probably that 42" musky.

Cookie caught a number of largemouth bass. Ya Largies were the thing this afternoon. Kinda making a habit of that this month. They were taking iceflies, pink and white, glow in the dark heads, tipped with a meal worm. I had some additional missed hits on a perch colored tungsten jig and a lindy jigging spoon (pink and silver). All tipped with meal worms of worms.

Talked to a real nice fellow who fished the dam area most of the morning. He said he had steady action on bass, a few perch and a couple gills if I remember right (no Crappie). No reason to doubt him, as we watched him catch a few before he left.

Anyway, it was a good introduction to ice fishing for Cookie. Not crowded. Sunny and no wind. And, enough willing underwater critter to keep her interested.

The video is a fun one - here it is

https://youtu.be/tFcB-21TkXo
[signature]
Congratulations to Cookie. Ice popping is definitely unnerving until one gets used to hearing it.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Well done. Glad the lady "broke the ice"...and got some rewards.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Had to chuckle about the noisy ice thing. The first time I took TubeBabe ice fishing was on Pelican Lake, right after the first big freeze one year. The ice was a solid 3-4 inches...but super clear. It was literally like walking on water. Even after I drilled a couple of holes and showed my nervous spouse how thick the ice was she still walked tippy toe. And on one occasion there was a loud bang and a crack ran right between the legs on her seat. Have you ever seen a lady tangler launch like a Polaris missile?[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]No matter how long one has been ice fishing there is still something about noisy ice that is unsettling.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I wish I could have caught the big crack/pop on video. Did not know my bride still had that kinda speed. Good thing there was a thin snow cover so she did not see the actual crack or ice fishing would have ended right then and there.
[signature]
It's the ones you don't hear you have to worry about.
[signature]