Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest trout ever
We went to Flaming Gorge on Friday and caught quite a few laker pups. The real highlight was that on my second time down the hole I pulled in the biggest trout I've ever caught. It was almost 26". Here are a few pictures. For perspective, those other fish are around 20".
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

You better get the smoker fired up. Glad to see your FG trip went well. Any burbot?
[signature]
Not a single hint of a burbot. Just bad location I think. We want to try a burbot-specific overnighter sometime soon. Leave in the afternoon, fish through the night and go home in the morning. I just hope we can find someone to show us how to catch those slimy suckers. Not being distracted by lakers should be a good start, and choosing a really good location.

Actually I gave all the fish away except the big one and I plan to bake it. The lady who picked the others up said that she had 17 people at her house and it would be a real treat for them. I love my wife's networking skills!
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Congrats on your Flaming Gorge trip. Bet that was fun pulling it in on the little ice pole.
[signature]
It was fun but I wasn't using one of our usual little ice rods. It was a "laker rod," 38" medium heavy with 20 lb. line. I broke off too many big fish last year and decided that if fish I'm after are likely to be as big as the catfish I'm used to catching, maybe I should use the same weight equipment for them. I'll still use the little rods for panfish and such but I want some heft when I go places like Flaming Gorge and Strawberry. Maybe it is overkill, but I'd rather land a fish than just play with it for a while.
[signature]

Congrats Craig. Glad to hear you decided not to sleep on a metal folding chair this time.
[signature]
"Glad to hear you decided not to sleep on a metal folding chair this time."

Thanks for the reminder [mad]. Actually in some ways it wasn't a lot better. I didn't want to take my boots off and I had blood and slime on me so I didn't get inside the sleeping bag, just on top. It was as cold as last year, too. But it was nice being able to get horizontal for a while. And Brett even started talking about a motel for next time, or the time after [Smile]. Hard not to be out there through the night if you want some burbot, though.
[signature]

But is that your biggest char ever?
[signature]
Ha, ha. Good one. I guess it is then. [Smile] And for that matter, the biggest Salvelinus namaycush, too. [Wink]
[signature]

Nice, I took your advice and got a 6" nils. And love it. It cuts through ice around 1 inch per 1 /2 second. Or 10" in 6 seconds. Did you get them big ones up through a six inch hole?
[signature]
Mine is actually an 8" but they would have come through a 6" just fine. Hope you enjoy it.
[signature]

Great fish Craig, looks like you're having a lot of fun this year... Man you guys are getting out a lot... Sure sounds like fun... Executing the plan well and getting well positioned to the win this year... good luck and keep going... Later Jeff
[signature]
Nice work Craig! It sounds likwe you had fun with those Lakers. Good on you. And you said you weren't sure you were going to do ice fishing this year[Wink]
[signature]
At Fire Hole fish the rock ledges 10ft to 20ft. You can also go straight across from the boat ramp along the rocks. Another spot I had luck is around the corner past the flat area to the left there are some rock ledges. Same depth. Attached are a couple of pictures from a few years ago. The two larger over 30" were caught around the corner past the flat area along the rocks. They are very good eating fresh. I have found not so good once frozen. Boil briefly in sugar water and dip in butter. Poor mans lobster.
[signature]
Thanks. Those sure are some big ones.

I'm not sure if I understand your directions. If we started at the loading ramp would bear over to the right where those cliffs are. And would we go left from the beach?
What about clear across to the big cliffs to the west? Thanks again.
[signature]

Sorry for the late response. Attached is a map of where I have been lucky in the past for the burbot.
[signature]