Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coyotes
Does anyone know a good place to hunt coyotes in northern Utah and what kind of things do I need to hunt them? Thanks

Fishkid
[signature]
Gte on the net and order a cd that plays injured jack rabbit noises. Play it in a cd player away from you and vehicles. These work gret for clling them in. Stop off of I-80 out past Toole to find them.
[signature]
wallburgs had a lot this winter
[signature]
What can you do with them after you get one. Thanks

Fishkid
[signature]
Thats the rub, kinda like jackrabbits. Not much you can do with them, when I was young we could get $ for the pelts, not much in that anymore. I won't kill anything that I have no use for.
[signature]
last that i knew the dwr gave a pelt reward, not much but it would cover the cost of shells.
[signature]
I've heard that out by toole is the place to go & around dugway proving grounds but haven't been able to go down there yet, I also saw a dead one on the west side of utah lake, that is more central utah (To me anyway) you could maybe try the crawford mountains out by Randolf, I recently tried out by locomotive springs but didn't see anything. You could tan the hides and if your daring you could even make jerky (a friend said it doesn't taste too bad) or use the meat for catfish bait.
[signature]
Go out by dugway, absolutly. Its right off of Davis knolls. Excellent hunting for yotes. I'm gonna head out that way by april/may to make sure I can still shoot accuratly. Use a deer fawn call, or a jack rabbit in distress call. Also, you see a few just driven around. Their runnin at about 300 yards before you can shoot, though. I'm pretty sure there's a reward for coyotes in tooele county. I'll have to ask my uncle jake.
[signature]
Rewards? That is interesting let us know! What gun do u all prefer for varmit shooting?
[signature]
If it's not too far of a drive for you, then the Uinta Basin is crawling with them. I saw them every time I was out there duck hunting this past year. There a day in November where I saw 7 in one day! This was the middle of the day and they were all close to me, so I'm sure if you had a call that you'd see a lot more.

I shot a few, but I quickly decided that shooting them with a shotgun at such a close range wasn't something that I enjoyed doing. I think I could pull the trigger if it was a hundred yards out and I had a rifle, but at such close ranges they remind me too much of dogs.

My uncle lives in Myton and every night you can hear the buggers howling all over the place.
[signature]
From my experience the .22-250 is ideal; especially if you plan on reloading. The .223 is also acceptable, but doesn't quite have the same range.
not really much you can do. with the exception of tanning the hide, you can use what little meat and put it in a wild game stew. not too bad, but it makes you feel strange, like your eating dog or something.
[signature]
Most counties have a bounty on coyotes. Down south it is $30 bucks for a set of ears. You can find out if your area has a bounty by calling the local court house or a state trapper.

Pelts you can still get some money for but you'll have to go to the mountain man randaveous. Those are fun and you can pick up some good tips.
[signature]
Thank you for your help.

Fishkid
[signature]
I talked to him today. Yeah, there's still a $10 bounty on their heads. He wasn't sure where to turn it in, though. Hasn't been hunting all winter, and yet he lives right in skull valley. Go figure.
I use a .243 I feel its the fastest, lightest hardest hitting varmin calibur on the market. I works good for antalope and deer, too.
[signature]
Would a 30-06 work ok? Thanks

Fishkid
[signature]
lol it sure would but can get pricey and give u a sore shoulder!
[signature]
Absolutly! Last year I blew em up witha .270, and a 7mm. Worked like a charm.
[signature]
I just use my .22. Seems to work fine, sometimes i use my 12 ga with some OO buckshot.
[signature]
Hey moby,

Can any shotgun shoot 00 buckshot? Or do you need a different choke? I had two yotes come in last year, but I had #2 steel shot for ducks and It didn't do the job too well. We did get one the day before the deer hunt up on thistle, I was surprised my bro's 30-30 connected. I heard that they stopped giving you money for the ears because people were turning in german shepards ears because they look almost identical. Maybe I'll have to get out more now.

Anthony
[signature]