Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview Perch and Deeper Chirp castable sonar testing
So, been to Pineview to do some additional testing of the Deeper Chirp model of castable sonar. I am really excited for how versatile it is . It gave great signals in the narrow band in the ice, showing fish, structure, takes, ext.

I also did some cast and mapping in some open water at Willard. Also very excited with the results. These units have come a long way. Its really going to be a fun tool to add to the bag for this years fishing goals.

As for Pineview - I cant really add much more than the recent posts on this forum and others have shared....

It is pretty good for smaller perch and crappie at all the standard locations around Pineview. Ice is a good 5"+ where we were off cemetery point. Perch hits were steady bouncing off the bottom with about any type of smaller jig set up ( I show the type we were using in the video - but nothing new). We did not target Crappie, but they were being picked up about 3-12 ft off the bottom. Size was an issue, but we did not go in search of them as we mostly wanted to test and get use to the signals from the Deeper Sonar unit.

If I had some kids to introduce to ice fishing I think PV would be my choice. Just a bunch of perch and crappie willing to bite.

I got some pretty cool video of the sonar signals while fishing and once I got the feel for it, brought Cookie back and let her catch a few. Even felt like singing in the video. Must have drank to much Coke for breakfast.

Cheers - hope to see some of you out on the hard water soon.

https://youtu.be/hrUvwFbPUvE
[signature]
Your Deeper Chirp gives a better reading than I expected to see.
[signature]
Ya, I was very pleasantly suprised at the output. Some of the early models from various manufacturers were pretty sketchy, but they have come a long way. Adding Chirp tech ( multiple pulse) to this unit has produced a very clean signal that displays very well. For a unit that is castable, I think it's a winner.

Looking forward to trying it more on differnt waters.

Cheers
[signature]
I liked you video, looks hard to sink your two videos.
Last year we did not get together, to fish for kokanee.
In Aug. I was in a lot of schools of Kokanee, I don't jig for them
but would be fun to try it. so need to take you and your cameras
and watch my fish finders could put under water cameras down.
but there is not much light that deep.
[signature]
Yeah, CHIRP is the real deal. I got one of those Garmin Striker 4 combos we were talking about in another thread and it really is great. I understand that the Vexilar and Marcum flashers are quality devices but watching fish swim around on my Striker 4 was pretty cool because the CHIRP makes it almost real time instead of a pulse every second or so. I may have to upgrade my Deeper to the CHIRP version too!
[signature]
I am all in for a trip to tease some kokes and try some filming.

Oh, and the issues getting my film to match had nothing to do with the quality of the footage and all to do with the quality of the guy trying to sync the footage on his software. I have much to learn about filming and editing.
[signature]
How big/small were those "smaller" crappie? Are we back to potato chip sizes?

Haven't gotten in to the crappies for a couple of years....
[signature]
Lots of 6 inchers. There are some bigger one but it's hard to get em with the fiesty young ones taking the bait first.
[signature]