Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp on ice
Fished UL today in one of my favorite bluegill spots.
A side benefit to this spot is I get to finesse carp to have an out of the water experience most trips.
I do this by pre-drilling holes in shallow water locations then fishing extremely quiet on my own.
Had 3 of the worthless fish join me today, none were returned to warn their friends.
About 30 whities.
Sadly, only one bluegill.
[signature]
Sounds like fun. I haven’t been able to talk a carp into joining me top side this year. Forgot the magic twitch to seduce them I guess. Congrats J
[signature]
Awesome. Been wanting to do that, but thought a carp through the ice was an accident. Can you teach me how to do it?
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Is the ice safe yet, or did you stay within arm's reach of the docks?
[signature]
Nice. Every carp out of the lake is a bonus. How thick was the ice?
Driven by a few times heading to other waters but haven't had the desire to stop at UL yet and test the conditions.
[signature]
I sure wish I had a "bluegill spot" at UL. I get em all the time, but randomly and a few at a time.
[signature]
Pre-drill holes and then tip-toe back.
Tiny baits, I like the Tiny Trout Magnet bloodworm tipped with 1/8” of crawler. It weighs 1/200ths of an ounce and hovers instead of hangs.
Do not drop anything or walk around, even the fly guys will tell you how easily spooked carp are.
Fish on your own in solitary spots.
I also use flouro in 3 lb test because them big old rubber lips are very sensitive.
Every carp I catch is hooked by just a tiny piece of lip on the very outside edge.
Use a reel with a high quality drag.
Hang on to your pole when they run.
[signature]
Ice was only 2” but clear.
I would not fish too close to anyone else...
[signature]
2”.
[signature]
Sadly it now seems it is a white bass spot.
[signature]
Beautiful details. Can you give me some idea where to locate them? How far from shore? How many fow and where in the column? Thanks, you're the best.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Anywhere along the shore, just picture where they would be in the summer and fish in the same spots.
I was in 6.9’ and just fishing about a foot off the bottom.
I fish a lot on my own so the odds are already in my favor., it just ends up being 99% luck.
[signature]
LOL. They're taking over, eh?

I lost all my good spring bluegill spots to the "phrag-slasher" machine. Haven't re-found any yet.
[signature]