Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Ice
Thinking of making a trip to starvation Sunday anyone got a current report thanks in advance
[signature]
We float tubed it last Sunday and there was very little ice except at the backs of some of the bays.

You might be able to find some thick enough to try but I wouldn't be driving a long way to find out.[Wink]
[signature]
Knight Hollow on the north end of the reservoir is your best bet. I fished it today and measured 8" of good solid ice. Attached are some photos I took today near the bridge, Rabbit Gulch and across to Indian Bay. Most of the lake is capped but there are still large areas of open water in Rabbit Gulch, South of the Bridge, around the bridge pilings, north of the bridge and in the main part of the lake.
[signature]
Great report thanks for the effort for great pictures. Looks like very close to full cap. Not much snow on the ground. Keep us posted. I like the bridge area.
[signature]
Any new information on starvation ice. Or fish.
[signature]
Wish I could help you out Verdean but I haven't heard anything lately. When I do I'll post it on the Ice Monitoring sticky at the top.

Haven't heard much about your fishing adventures lately. Been doing any good? Let me know if you want to go out again during the week sometime.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

The word is yes!, but I'm in Portland right now for a week or so. Call ya when I get home.
I wish I could get to echo right now. Its been good for those in the know. I would like to get out my atv and cover echo like wiperhunter2 did, now that's fun..
[signature]
There is still some open water in areas of the main lake including to the west of the main park boat ramp, the mouth of Rabbit Gulch and south of the bridge. As of Saturday Jan. 11, the ice in the Juniper Point area was a solid 7" with a few inches of snow on top. As of Thursday Jan. 9, the ice in the Knight Hollow area was 9" of crystal clear solid ice. Knight Hollow was good for small rainbows 12" - 14" and the occasional larger rainbow of 17" - 18".
[signature]
Thanks for the up date. I know you live that direction its been cold so why does it take so long to cap? Has it been windy? Or because its so deep.
[signature]
The lake is now pretty much completely capped from what I saw on my drive by this afternoon. I noticed some very small spots with open water just north of the bridge and a section along the beach near the main boat ramp. The mouth of Rabbit Gulch and south of the bridge as well as other main lake areas are still likely too thin to fish on. Next to the bridge pilings is always dangerously thin because of wind and sun on concrete.

The lake is very full this winter. More so than last. Increased volume of water to cool off is likely the reason it is taking longer to cap this winter. It hasn't been unusually windy this winter.
[signature]