Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake
I got a new boat and really want to take it out. It sounds like Bear Lake can be good from a boat all winter. I’ve never fished Bear Lake and would appreciate any first timer advice people are willing to give me. You can PM if you prefer. Which boat ramp would you suggest launching from? I have a 16’ deep V Tracker boat but will definitely watch the weather to make sure it isn’t too windy or rough when I go. Trolling or jigging? Down rigger or planner boards? Best color/types lures?

Thanks in advance.
Lance
[signature]
Looks like bear lake is trying to cap!!! The marina looked to have lots of ice as of dec 30th.

I did notice 2 boats in slips but it looked impossible to get out on to the lake.
[signature]
There is a post on Facebook saying " ice is good and they are fishing at Bear lake lodge.
I don't know.. Hummmmm.
What do ya'll think ?
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
Thanks the DWR report that came out yesterday said all of the ramps were open water so I thought it was still fishable by boat. I guess the report wasn’t accurate.
[signature]
I've never heard of a Bear lake lodge, much less anyone fishing out of it but from my experience, once the main state park marina freezes and closes that location on the West side of the lake, there are two or three boat launches on the East side of the lake that are usually open. I highly doubt the entire lake has frozen but if the wind has been blowing the ramps can be icy, so it is always a good idea to have a 4x4 and chains would be a good idea, just in case. Side planners would be of little value this time of the year. Jigging or using downrigger, would be your best bet. If Bearlakefishguy sees your post maybe he can give you some up to date info or you could send him a PM.
[signature]
[fishon] Take the boat out when the Cisco start running at the end of the month. That is your best time to catch the big lakers. [fishon]
[signature]
Where did you get those pictures? Are they legit? This seems way too early for BL to cap without any real cold yet this year... You got my attention that's for sure... Later Jeff
[signature]
I took those pictures from the Idaho Utah state line but it looked like that all the way to the turn to Logan canyon.. but I have seen great ice on bear lake one day and the wind break it all up and stack it on the shores in one day...
[signature]
So you seen it too. That’s so cool. Maybe we’ll get to fish ice this year. That’s great!! Thanks Jeff
[signature]
Any idea on how thick it got did you see any body fishing it i would imagine that the next 3 day it will break up with the windstrom that is going to happen
[signature]
Fished bear lake yesterday and today from my boat. The only ice we saw was broken up ice that was in the mouth of the marina yesterday afternoon. Today the lake was open as well as the marina. The water temp is 36 degrees and the wind forecast over the next week should keep it open. Sorry no ice fishing yet. Here’s to Cisco fishing from the boat again this year
Wind is blowing up there right now. East side of the lake is open. If you get out on the lake and there is large chunks on ice on the west side, you need to be careful that you dont get in a bad place and get pinched off by the floating ice. It can happen really fast and really put you in a bad spot.

The wind can really come up quick up there. Trying to load a boat back on your trailer on the east side with the wind blowing can be tricky if not down right impossible without breaking something or taking on water.

If you make it up and out, troll flatfish and stick baits in 35-55 feet of water, or where your marking fish. Use appropriate speeds for what your trolling. RMT dodgers and squids are also very effective up there this time of year. Use chrome colored flatfish or bright colored also. Rainbow trout stick baits and frog/perch flatfish are always good go to’s up there.

Jigging will be very productive if you can find some fish to get on and drop on them. 3-5” tubes, in white, glow or chartreuse. Tip with a piece of sucker meat or Cisco.

Go prepared to fish either way. Let the fish and weather dictate to you what you need to do.

Good luck and be safe
[signature]
Thank you so much for the tips on how to fish Bear Lake. I’m very excited to give it a try.
[signature]