Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Reservoir how's the perch fih'n?
Anyone willing to share a general location?
[signature]
Good to see your still kicking Michael, after only one post in all of 2019, I was afraid you had moved on. Hope someone can help you with your question.
[signature]
I fished the dam area on Friday with my kids and we caught over 40 perch and a 17” German brown. They were close to the bottom all the way from 35’ to 70’. Marked fish in about every hole we punched. 8” solid clear ice. We were only 100 to 150 yards from the dam but I saw several groups wander all over and much further out. The bite was light but we did lose one pole to an aggressive fish. If you catch a fish with a cheap blue sportsman’s warehouse combo special attached I’d like to know what we missed! Good luck and happy trails.
[signature]
Thanks I am still here and now retired.
[signature]
Thanks for the help haven't ever fished by there on that end can you drive close to the water?
[signature]
Some people drove all the way to the shore by the dam but I parked up in the parking area at the top of the dam. I figured a hundred or so yard walk would be better than risk getting stuck to save a little walking. It's not too bad of a walk.
[signature]
Good to hear, retirement is awesome[Smile]
[signature]
Thanks I don't mind walking on flat ground but inclines get the best of me now. I will check it out.
[signature]
Retirement sounds good but these first few days leave me thinking I need to be "going to work" I am trying to build up a business of leather working and I am making a wood framed canvas back pack taken from the original Trapper Nelson from the early 1900"s.
[signature]
I like the East side. You can park right at the bottom of the boat ramp. Only yards from the ice. Always done good on perch. Very few people.
[signature]
I fished that side years ago and did well. Are you fishing in about 20' of water?
[signature]
Last year I was in 30 feet and slayed them. With the snow, The road down to the water can be real slick at times. I wouldn't go down without 4 wheel drive to get back out.
I should be there right now!!! Lol
[signature]
I had to laugh, it won't take long, you will get used to retirement. You find yourself busier than ever and still not enough time to get everything done.
Last year at Magic I tried a new lighted lure. I found them on Amazon. They are about 1 1/2" long and come from China I think. They are made to attract fish but come with no hook. It is a chrome blade with a round light in the middle . It has two tiny contact probe that the water completes the circuitry and turns the light on. I added a 1 1/2" tiny chain and a small red treble hook. And caught 40 perch in less than an hour. It was drop it down, and boom a fish, just as soon as you brought it of the bottom. One after another. I couldn't use more than one pole. I started with tipping it with a piece of sucker meat but switched to perch eyes because they stay on the hook better.
[signature]
What does it look like, I couldn't find anything like that on Amazon.
[signature]
That sounds good and I like using perch eyes for that very reason, they stay on! thanks
[signature]
They are "Lighted FireFly" from Tundra Tackle.
[signature]
Thank you!!
[signature]
[quote idahopanfish]Retirement sounds good but these first few days leave me thinking I need to be "going to work" I am trying to build up a business of leather working and I am making a wood framed canvas back pack taken from the original Trapper Nelson from the early 1900"s.[/quote]

You will get over that after a while, I use to even dream about being late to work for a long time but I got over it. Sounds like you have some projects to keep you busy, that's good. I started on remodeling projects at home over 9 years ago and I'm still working on them. The best part is there is no hurry to do anything and I can take off whenever I want, to go fishing or whatever I want. Life is good.[cool]
[signature]
Congrats on retirement Michael! I've been retired since '07 and have enjoyed every second of it! Finally found my purpose in life, loafing around and fishing!! We need to get together again maybe this summer. You can teach me all your tricks on Salmon Reservoir. I've never caught a walleye. One of my bucket list fish. We can try Cascade again. The bass are getting bigger up there. Heard there has been some big largemouth being caught. I didn't know there was any in there. I caught some nice 3 and 4 pound smallies up there this last summer. Catch you later!
[signature]
Love to fish SFCR with you
[signature]