Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you get rid of a skunk?
I have a skunk that comes through my yard every morning and i dont know why! I usually smell him around the garbage can but never see his smelly butt. My dogs are chained up and bark early in the morning and thank god he hasnt sprayed them yet![Sad] I am waiting to walk on him and surprising him.[pirate] Is there something i can do to rid of my little stinky friend?[unsure]
[signature]
A live catch trap with a can of tuna inside will catch the bugger. Then wait for him to starve, then you don't get any stink. It's probably not the most humane way to dispatch a skunk, but it's the least smelly. Good luck with your little friend.
[signature]
[Wink]Before you set the trap that killerbee has offered tie a long length of rope to it. Then after the skunk is inside you can pull trap and all out to a more sutable location for disposal, like your nosy neighbors garage on something.
[signature]
quit feeding it [Tongue], sence the animal control there is horriable i would get a live trap and see if you can trap him. you could even poison the tuna to kill it faster but any way that you try to get rid of him i bet he winds up spraying you or your dogs. you dont happen to dislike any of your neighbors do you?[Wink]
[signature]
Now this is not my way of doing things, because I don't like killing things (except fish, and deer and elk, and moose and rabbits and coyotes and turkeys and you get the picture (GAME animals)

While I lived in the mountains above Huntsville I had a neighbor who hates skunks and racoons becaause they killed his pigeons and cats. So he would trap them in a live trap then drag the trap into his little pond the aminal drowned and then was disposed of. Now Ocean I don't think you have a pond or would want to let the kids see you do something like that, but its the only time I ever heard of anyone getting rid of a skunk or racoon problem.

While I lived up there I had lots of chickens and for five years I never lost one to either skunks or racoons. They were free ranging during the day but a night they were locked up in the chicken coop. Also I kept my dogs outside at night during the warm weather and they would make lots of noise if anything passed by that they didn't like the smell of. And that usually chased whatever it was away. But it didn't work on moose for some reason it just pissed off the moose, just can't figure why ha ha....Good luck
[signature]
Skunks can be a real pain once they find a food sourse,, or think they have.. And now time is not on your side,, remember,, if that is a female she may soon have youngin's following along .. "Back in the day" when one happen to be trap along the trap line a guy had two choices.. Frist was to allow it to merely starve to death or second,, shot it.. Well me being me would shot it rather than let it starve and then I'd retrieve my trap at a later date,, a much later because of my not so well placed shot,, and the fact the enter area stunk merely because of it capture!! But you have other options....

Yepper's,,,, the first might be to live trap it and you can do this with a lil bait (canned cat food works well as well as Tuna fish) and any wooden box large enough to drop over the cridder using the old stick and pull string method.. Of course this involves you waiting for the lil monster to arrive,, then personally pulling the string attached to the stick holding one end of the wooden box, so, you may opt for a commercal live trap. Second step involves dropping an old tarp or blanket over the trap and skunk.. I advise you drape the trap over the trap so that the tarp completey covers the trap (and extends onto the ground completely around the trap execpt it enterence way) before attempting to capture the animal.. Attach a string to finish pulling the trap to the ground so its completely cover once the animal has been trapped.. Step three is to use a hose and the exhaust from your car or pickup to gas it and to send the lil bugger off to better hunting grounds.. Btw,, I suggest you have the hose hooked up to the trap before you trap the animal.... With this method the animal may stray slighly but the trap or blanket keeps it all contained to a small area..

Dependiong on your location you may also have the opt of neck shot it,, (NOT HEAD),, head shot they often stray reguardless so shooting as an opt only if your exact with the shot. Once the neck is broken it drops without the ability to spray but some scent will seep from its glans reguardless,, and in fact this is the case once the animal dies reguardless of the method used...

You could also try calling animal control but often the words "I have a SKUNK!!" places your situation at the bottom of a long and drug out waiting list of,, quote,,"honey-do's"....

Of course,, these are merely suggestion,,, Good luck OCean!!

"Theres a dead shunk in the middle of the road. Dead shunk in the middle of the road. There's a dead skunk in the middle of the road and it's stinkun' to high heaven!!"
[signature]
[reply]
Now this is not my way of doing things, because I don't like killing things (except fish, and deer and elk, and moose and rabbits and coyotes and turkeys and you get the picture (GAME animals)

[/reply]
[signature]
move, just kidding. good luck getting rid of the smelly fellow.
[signature]
I BELIEVE THERE IS SUCH A THING AS SKUNK REPELLANT. I KNOW IT SOUNDS CRAZY HOW TO STINK OUT A STINKER, BUT IT FALLS IN WITH THE SQUIRELL, RACOON, SKUNK, ETC...REPELLANT. I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU CAN GET IT LOCALLY, IT MAY HAVE TO BE AN INTERNET SEARCH TYPE OF THING, BUT IF YOU SEAL UP THE GARBAGE AND ALL VERY WELL, IN EFFECT STOP FEEDING IT, IT SHOULD GO AWAY ON ITS OWN, IF ALL THAT FAILS, A SHOTGUN IS GOOD, OR PAY YOUR DUES AND LET LOOSE THE DOGS ON HIM ONCE, THEY WILL STINK OF COURSE BUT I CAN TELL YOU HE WONT COME BACK AFTER HE KNOWS THEY ARE THERE. HE KNOWS NOW THEY ARE LOCKED UP AND CANNOT GET TO HIM SO HE DOESNT CARE ABOUT THEM, BUT IF YOU LOOSE THE DOGS, AND GET YA A CASE OF TOMATOE JUICE, V8 WORKS IN A PINCH, YOU CAN GET RID OF THAT BOY LET HIM LIVE AND YOU YOURSELF WILL BE SKUNK FREE......AFTER YOU WASH THEM DOGS.

JUST A THOUGHT,

LATERS,
[signature]
[url "http://www.critter-repellent.com/skunk/skunk-repellant.php?source=Overture"]http://www.critter-repellent.com/skunk/skunk-repellant.php?source=Overture[/url]

TRY THIS LINK, IT IS TO CRITTER REPELLANT WEB SITE. I JUST DID A SEARCH FOR SKUNK REPELLANT, MAN I GOT A WHOLE LIST OF STUFF THAT DID NOT SUCK OR STINK FOR THAT MATTER, IT SEEMS THE MAIN INGREDIENT IS PREDATOR URINE, SO IF YOU HAVE A BEAR, OR A CYOTE AROUND GET SOME WIZZ FROM EM AND SPRINKLE IT AROUND YOUR YARD. MAYBE YOUR DOSS IF YOU CAN GET THEM TO "WET" THE PERIMITER. HOPE IT HELPS, GOOD LUCK WITH THE THING, MAY YOU NOT GET SKUNKED UP.

LATERS,
[signature]
How do you get urine from a bear? Hand them a cup?
[signature]
I forgot to mention, if you do decide to get a live trap you can pick them up at greenline equiptment there in nephi or you can pick one up at payson sports.
[signature]
Ok I am hearing alot about live traps which is no doubt the most humane way to deal with it. Who is going to pick-up the Angry caged skunk?

Not me[crazy][sly]
[signature]
I'd recomend setting up a bait, and waiting with a bow and shooting him in the neck. If you hit any of the neural cortex of the brain (anywhere in the head), he'll spray like a S.O.B. If you hit the body, he'll run. I had one in my back yard a while back. Just had to lean out my little brothers bed room window to get rid of him.
[signature]
You can contact the DWR in your area and borrow a live cage for free. After that, follow FFM's instructions. Tie at least a ten foot piece of rope on the trap prior to trapping, then simply drag the skunk and cage to a canal, creek or pond and drown it. It won't spray if you don't get too close. Do not shoot the skunk in the cage, it will spray even with a head shot (trust me on this one LMAO).Chances are you have more than one skunk. Dicarded fish heads make great skunk bait. You may catch all the local cats in the process, but they usually learn after the first capture. I killed about thirty skunks this way one winter while living in Wayne County, and never got sprayed once. Good luck.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
did you call dwr to see if they will come take care of it?
your animal control or the dwr should come out and take care of it. if not use a live trap and rope you my also try putting a old blanket over the trap just move very slowly, no sudden moves that may scare it, then dispose of it as you see fit
[signature]
I grew up on a farm and we elimnated alot of skunks using a live trap. I fully agree with most of what has been said about shooting or allowing the animal to starve. they will most definately stink. Before you place the live trap cover it in a dark tarp. When you catch the skunk he will not be able to see you and will not spray. get a long pole and a buddy and carry the cage to a pond or canal and submerge the entire cage and cover. if you don't have a source of water nearby use a 55 gallon drum filled with water. it is a bit more difficult but still effective. Good luck, Chickenlicken.
[signature]
My old neighbor in Provo would inject cyanide into an egg and place it in a 1/2 full garbage can. Skunks just cannot resist an egg. He would place the garbage can next to something the skunk could hop down from. Those skunks died so quickly they never climbed back out of the can. He would then pile trash on the skunk and leave the can for the garbage pickup. Neat, clean & easy. The only problem is it was very illegal.

One way to dispatch a skunk in a cage is to drop a box over the live trap and make sure the bottom is tight to the ground. Then drop dry ice through a small hole in the top and the carbon dioxide displaces the oxygen in a very short time and it suffacates.
[signature]