Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best weather for ice fishing?
The best days are when you are able to go! But all joking aside, midweek when there is less pressure seems to help. I also like to fish just before, or during a storm. Some of my best days have been when it is snowing. I have also caught some of my biggest fish just before or during storms.
[signature]
The days I can't go are usually the best fishing, but occasionally I get in on good ones and I've really never seen a pattern of one day a lot better than another when it comes to weather... I usually like the nice weather best, but I catch fish most days... I am starting to think that Solunar chart might have something going.. at least the period they say will be best, usually is for me lately... But that's probably when you're fishing the outskirts of the hot spots and you're relying on fish moving through... Later Jeff
[signature]
There's a bunch of factors but the conventional wisdom seems to match up most the time for me. Fishing after a storm for a day or two always seems bad, fishing right before and during the storm always good. Cloudy weather and wind are good because it creates false cover for the fish and they feed more confidently, but regardless of the visibility conditions the air pressure is what we're really talking about.

Here's an article with a table that gives you a quick reference for fishing by the barometer:

https://www.fishingskillz.com/best-barom...r-fishing/

Ignoring the tide cycle of the full and new moons, just simply the fact that a full moon provides enough light to eat by is enough to change feeding patterns. It depends on the species of course but some fish will gorge all night if there is enough light, then they don't eat again until the afternoon the next day. No light all night and they eat at first light in the morning. Combining the solunar calendar and fishing before storms has yielded more amazing fishing days for me than not, it doesn't seem to be a coincidence.
[signature]
I can settle this once and for all! The absolute best weather for fishing is the weather that occurs on the days that you can go fishing. I have long time friends who swear by the tables that show the best periods and dates.
That's great if you are truly retired, don't have any other commitments and have a significant other who really could care less if you're there or not.

The rest of us have to deal with these various factors that determine when and where you can go and chase fish.

So here's TopH20's theory of the best weather for ice fishing. Check the most dependable weather forecast, see if the good weather days coincide with your available days to fish and make a decision. If the weather is going to be bad, take the shelter that you spent hard earned money to purchase. If it's predicted to be windy, take the shelter. If it's slushy on the water you plan to fish or if there is deep snow, take your snowmobile and not your ATV (thanks K2).

Don't listen to the guys who swear by the sol-lunar tables. Go when you can go and enjoy being out, being above room temperature and breathing in and out. If you catch some fish, all the better. If you don't catch anything, you were still not at work or in another environment where you are not valued and appreciated.

Now go fish!

Mike
[signature]
I was reading an article a few weeks ago about high pressure and cold fronts on panfish. It tends to cause them to be less active and very light biters. Have to really work them and downsize your presentation. I was fishing one of my fav perch spot, one week the temps were in the 20s the bite was steady the next time it was in single digits and blue sky and it was struggle to get them to bite. Put a camera down hole and had perch all around me. Would look at bait swim off.
[signature]
Here's one that will show its version of best fishing days & times. I have this one app installed on my iPhone. It also has mores setting you can look into such as wind, weather. January 10 is a good day, can you work with snow conditions?
[signature]
Cold really cold your going to need ice
[signature]
What is the name of that app?
[signature]
The app I have on my phone is iSolunar
The only time I set dates to go fishing using the solunar tables is when planning trips months out in front, weather wind and other environmental factors can impact the fishing also. I go fishing and if it’s a 1 fish day so be it but I try and be in an area I want to work during the bite times.
[signature]
[quote kentofnsl]What is the name of that app?[/quote]
Best Fishing Times in the Apple store
[signature]
25 yrs. ago I did a experiment to see if those charts that show bod, good, best fishing days was worth my time.

I fished Fish Lake almost every Fri. while there was fishable ice. I kept both a tally of size specie and number of fish caught.

For me it made zero diff. Some of the days marked as good were poor and some of the poor days were good. I feel there are a myriad of factors that influence fishing.

After this expreriment I decided to never ever spend so much time on a single body of water and to go when and where i have the chance.
[signature]