Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo 1/11
Shawn, it was good to meet you and fish along side you. Craig and I just couldn’t keep up with you on numbers and size. That 13-incher was what we were hoping for, just not in the cards for us.

Good day on the lake with good people. Thank you!
[signature]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Joatmon the 12” you caught was pretty nice and should help in the ice fishing challenge.
[signature]
I'm jealous of both of you. We went to get some jumbos and the best I could do was a 10.5"er. Still good enough to give me a 2" bump on perch. What I really liked about fishing there is that we caught fish of all sizes, from 4" up to the big toads. Those little guys will make great single-serving cat bait.

I was having a pretty mediocre day and was getting bored of staring at the flasher willing some fish to rise up off the bottom; every time I turned around Brett was reeling in another one. I couldn't stand it so I went over and asked what he was doing. He shared his secret and my catch rate zoomed up. And Shawn shared one of his setups with a Kastmaster and pink ant. I also switched to a perch-colored Hali. Those two plus Brett's treatment kept me jumping. The fish wanted some jigging but then I'd be unhooking one and the tip of my deadstick would start jumping. It was hard to quit. Brett said that he was going to catch 40 and stop. His 40th was his 12"er!
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Looks like you guys had a fun day overall. I really wanted to hit the ice yesterday, but had other things I had to do. I've had the same experience with the deadstick. I would jig one rod and they would hit the other. I'm hoping to hit it again soon. Great report.
[signature]
Thanks so much for your info on where to go and how to catch the perch--it really helped. If you go there again and want some company let me know. You are a big-fish magnet and I wouldn't mind hanging out in your currents as they draw the big ones in [Smile].

I know you had to take care of your elk. It's a tough job, even worse having to eat those steaks. I'll trade you a 4" perch for a steak. But we would have to do it at your house and fill out the proper paperwork [Wink].
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

You give me way too much credit and praise. I struggle just like everyone else and worried that the fish wouldn't be there for you. I'm glad you found some. Wish you would have caught that 13+", but you just never know. A 13" perch is huge for a perch. At least there is a good chance for big perch in echo right now. Before this year I had never caught a perch over 12". I will let you know when I go again and would welcome your company.

I did get the elk skinned and the tenderloins out. I'm just going to let her hang for a week or two before I start the rest of the processing.

You made me laugh with the perch for elk steak trade and your reference to donating![Wink]
[signature]
Good job guys. Good thing you settled on going there
[signature]