Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snare spoon
It will work just as good and nearly half the price.
I use black VMC dropper chains with black octopus hooks on Kastmasters and catch rates are equal to Halis.
The VMC hooks are much more durable than what comes on a Hali.
[signature]
Never used that brand, or the Hali jigs, either, but I use homemade versions all the time, just made of any small spoon with a couple of the smallest size swivels attached.

They have worked for me on several species at several lakes. One of my favorite perch tactics if the action slows is to.jig them a lot, bouncing and pounding them on the bottom. Then just set it down so the bait (perch eyes or whatever) and chain are just sitting next to the spoon on the bottom. Leave it there a few seconds.. Perch will often suck the bait and hook up off the bottom, and you'll either see it in your springbobber, or hook them the next time you pick it up.

No secrets there, of course, but that seems to work a lot.
[signature]
[#0000ff]Those Hali jigs are spendy. Been making my own version for a few years too. I use painted up flattened sinkers (glow) and a short length of stainless wire, instead of the chain. Holds up a lot better on bigger fish and doesn't seem to bother the fishies. Also doesn't tangle like the chains do.[/#0000ff]

[inline HOLY.jpg]
[signature]
They have been money for us on perch with a piece of bait on them.. but I ran out and ended up making a couple lures out of a trout lure and a kastmaster.... lol but now I know where to go get more!!!
[signature]
I am pleased to see your post about there being an alternative to Hali jigs. I have one that has performed well, but it was $6 at sportsmans. I ordered a couple of the Hali Sukkula jigs off of Ebay, and they came laminated to the OEM card, but I hooked one in my shoelace today, and the chain broke before I ever got it in the water. I switched to the other new jig, and after a good bite, I brought it up with a broken chain and no hook.
I'll fix those as per Tubedude's suggestion, but I won't buy those Hali sukkula jigs again. (they look like a small minnow outline with tail)
[signature]
[#0000FF]Once you have the basic weight/flasher, you can use any type of chain/wire/leader...of almost any length...to connect to the hook. Similarly, you can use any kind of hook or jig at the end. Believe me, over the years I have experimented with almost every possible permutation of weight, line and hook. Almost anything will work. And even a short length of 10# leader...or light wire...works better than the chains.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]A lot of perch jerkers...like Pikeman...prefer to use a small metallic spoon (Kastmaster) above a leader and a small jig. Principle is the same. Something to help get a light jig down to the right depth quicker...and to keep the slack out of the line to help detect bites better. The weight/flasher does help to attract fish to the rig...and the fish then go for the smaller baited jig/hook.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]I have watched fishes' actions and reactions to a flasher/jig combo...like the Hali...both on good sonar systems and on camera. Although they sometimes take a whack at the larger attractor, in most cases they simply give it a good look and then tip down to slurp the baited hook or jig.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Also, for what it's worth, that same system sometimes works well for vertical jigging in open water too. I have had days in summer or early fall...on open water...when my "holy jigs" caught the heck out of both perch and crappies...in bright daylight.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]So don't curse your damaged Hali jigs. Just remove the remaining chain and replace it with your choice of leader or wire...and your choice of bare hook or small jig.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
TubeDude

What’s your feelings about a red hook vs a regular hook...

The reason I ask is I’ve noticed more bites the last couple times on red treble hooks vs reg treble hooks in gold..
[signature]
[#0000FF]I use red hooks on a majority of the jigs and fligs I make. And in side by side comparison fishing tests I think I detect a better munch ratio with the red. I am not alone either. Many of the guys who have me make lures for them specify the red hooks.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Fish have a different makeup of rods and cones in their eyes and do not see colors the same as humans. However, I believe that certain wavelengths of color trigger more positive reactions than others. Depending on water clarity, light intensity, temperature and other factors there are days when fish show a definite preference for certain colors. I suspect it is largely a matter of what shows up best at the time...but not always.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]