Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum in afternoon
I just got back from the lake, we quit fishing at noon, and they were still biting as long as we had lines in the water.
I have fished there as late as 2, but the catch rate was definitely better in the AM. Maybe there is an evening bite as well, I can't say I've tried, but as mentioned, it slowed but they were still biting today.
[signature]
[#0000FF]As a general rule...but not always...the perch bite is more related to location than time of day. True, some groups of fish seem to have more active periods and might become less aggressive at times. But on any given body of water there will be some active fish somewhere. Seek and ye shall find.[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule to guide you in your search. There are times when fish that were active in shallower spots move to deeper spots later in the day. But they may also move to shallower spots...depending on food availability, overhead angler noise, etc.
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]
[/#0000FF]
[#0000FF]Most of the larger fish are females...and they pretty much do whatever the heck they feel like.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Fished Hyrum 2 weeks ago from 12-5. Fishing was fair until 4 and it died off to nothing.
[signature]
I had never fished Hyrum but decided to go give it a try.

I didn’t get on the ice until noon. I drilled my first hole in the area where everyone else were fishing, dropped the transducer in the hole and immediately saw fish on the Humminbird in 32 FOW.

From noon to 1pm I caught 9 and missed several bites. Fish were showing up on the sonar for most of that hour.

From 1pm to 2 pm I only caught 3. There were long periods of time with no fish showing up on the sonar, and when they did start showing up they didn’t seem to interested in my lures.
[signature]
We fished Monday at Hyrum from sunrise to 2:30pm. The fish in our area off the swim beach didn't really get active until about 8:30am and the fishing was slow but steady until about 1:30pm and then it died off in a big way the last hour. I will say that we drilled some additional holes searching for fish around noon that were a ways off from our main holes, and one of those holes yielded 8-9 fish in the space of about 10 minutes, then they were gone. I picked up a few more fish in that hole, but it really seemed like we just picked up a school of them moving thru. If you aren't finding them fairly quickly, I would move. Never fished the afternoon at Hyrum, so don't know what to tell you, but the fishing, in my experience, really slows after about 1pm until...???
[signature]
Lareen, several of us went to Hyrum on the seventh. We had nonstop action all day long. We stayed until later in the afternoon.

FWIW, on the 11th joatmon, Obifishkenobi, and I hit Echo and had the same experience. We stayed until dark and the biggest perch were caught just before we left. Hope you have fun and be sure to give us a report on how you do.
[signature]
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.