Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afternoon on Newton
Hey thanks for a great report and I sure hope you find the first catch for him... I fished Newton at first ice and caught a few perch and a little bass over off the bathroom ridge on the other side of the pond... The perch were really small too and they were right on the bottom.. Hyrum was fishing so much better that I haven't been back to Newton since, but I think the fish are biting very lite this year, so you may want to try a small slide bobber and set it up so you are fishing about 6" off bottom, use a small tungsten tear drop jig with a small piece of meal worm or perch meat on it and you should get him his first fish... if you have any questions let me know, I'd be glad to help... Not sure where home is for you, but I'm out of Benson... Good luck... Jeff
[signature]
Yeah, take your little man to Hyrum and he should get his first fish. 35' of water off the swim beach has been the ticket. It's been slower this week than last, but still enough fish to get your son onto some. Bite has seemed to be best about 8:30-9 until about noon-12:30. Get the bait right on the bottom, but make sure you have tension on the line to see/feel the hits. Waxies, maggots, and perch eyes have worked best for us. A spring bobber is a must - the bite has been very light and without it, you may not see the hits...or at least you won't see all of them. If you don't have a finder, just go out about 350-400 yds perpendicular from the shore and you should be in the general area you want to be in. Good luck!!
[signature]
I second (third) the Hyrum suggestion’s we fished it at the first of the year and the perch were all over. That is the first time I’ve had the zoom section on my flasher filled with a school of fish. If you go, use the smaller tungsten jigs, my friend had those on and he doubled the amount of fish I caught, but it was an awesome day of fishing. Not that it’s a secret but pm me and I’ll tell you where we were if you want. Good luck and post some pictures of his first catch!
[signature]