Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon???
In the summer months, fishing from my tube, I have scored suspended perch at both Rockport and Deer Creek. I thought it was odd too when I caught them halfway up in the water column.
Gabe
[signature]
Wow !! That is rare to catch perch that far off the bottom ! I think you will have a great day at East Canyon ! Remember catch and release .
[signature]
Did well last Friday. Fished 60 FOW, caught fish around 25-30 down. White with waxie and smelly jelly worked for us. Several 18" fish and even more 12-13" trout.
[signature]
How are the edges at East Canyon? Is it freezing solid enough at night or is there a big gap with water requiring a plank? Thanks for the help.

TiteLines
[signature]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I was there on Wednesday (Jan 29). The edge is poor right now due to the warm temps we've been having. It was possible to walk on at the boat ramp without breaking through via a very narrow ice/snow bridge from the snowplow pile at the bottom of the ramp. Either side of that bridge folks were breaking through. The water gap was anywhere from 2 to 5 feet to get to the solid ice.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I disconnected my shelter sleds from my snowmobile and hand pulled them across the gap. My snowmobile broke through getting on and off the ice. We fished the point to the west of the rental cabins (near the damn) and the ice there was 9 to 10 inches thick. Fishing was slow for us and others we checked - one trout for us in 4 hours. We marked fish constantly but could not get them to bite anything we used and we used a couple dozen different lure/bait combinations.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Channel 4's Alana Brophy was there filming that afternoon for a presentation sometime soon on the 5/6 PM newscast. When it is posted on the Channel 4 website I hope to be able to watch it. They got a double while we were talking with them, Two nice trout.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Good luck to you if you go.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Any thoughts on the best areas to target at E. Canyon? I'd like to fish Hyrum again, but my fishing buddy wants to catch trout, so we are going to try E. Canyon instead. Would it be better to target the Taylor's Hollow / inlet area or fish near the dam / State Park boat ramps? Seems that most trout are suspended under ice down to about 25-30 feet. Should we be in deeper water? Just looking for general tips as this will be our first time to E. Canyon on the ice. Thanks!
[signature]
That is a good question, sorry I can't give you a complete answer. I have not fished by the Dam nor Taylor's hollow yet this year but I have done well at both areas in the past. When I went out last weekend, my buddy went started out closer to the shore, he moved around a couple of times before coming by me (I was in the middle of one of the inlets). I have usually caught larger fish by the dam, on the south side of the dam, in Taylor hollow and on the west side of the lake across from taylor hollow. I generally drill a bunch of holes at different depths and go from there. The past 3 years I have done well in the deeper water (50-60') fishing 15-20' down, this year 25-30' was better in the deeper water. The fish would come up from the bottom and bite, others were swimming by at that depth. I generally do well using a Maniac vertigo jig head, maniac white with red flecked gazzilla body, wax worm and Anchovy smelly jelly. This has been my go-to for trout where ever I fish. A fish finder makes life much easier when fishing this way! Don't be afraid to move around if you're not catching or marking fish in 30 min or so! Good luck!
[signature]
I like your taste in jigs that's my favorite set up too, it catches everything. Only difference is I use meal worms and Mike's Trout UV Gel. Have you tried using their double trouble jig head that has an eye on the top and bottom to tie to. I use it some times when I want to target perch and trout at the same time by tying a short dropper with a 1/64 oz jig head with a green gizzybug on it. I'll fish the bottom with the Gizzybug and when I get a mark higher in the water colum I real up to it and target it with the Gizzilla. I like the wide hook gap on Maniac jig heads, I believe it helps me hook more fish, and make them worth their higher price compared to other jig heads.
[signature]
Thanks. Sounding a bit sketchy. We usually fish further down toward the Resort side, which has been a little more firm overall because it froze up earlier. Anyone been there lately with a report on the water gap?

TitleLines
[signature]
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll let you know how we do and will report on ice conditions as well. Gonna have to be careful this weekend.
[signature]