Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Willard Tubing 2-27-20
Guess I'd better take a stab at posting something besides criticisms.  Let's see how well I got it figured out,.

Launched at the north marina about 8ish.  24 degree air temp had put a skim of ice over the 36 degree water between the ramp and the outside channel.  No Probby.  Fired up my 40# thrust electric and my feeble old tuber's legs and powered my way out.  I think I grossed out one of the rangers who walked out on the dock to take water temps and scratched his head watching me fight my way out through the ice.

Didn't burn out my electric motor and made it to open water...just as the sun came out, a breeze came up and the ice went bye bye.  Tried dragging a flig and minnow while pitching plastic and watching TV (sonar).  No good programs on.  A stray single blip here and there but no groups and no biters.  After a half hour or so I reeled in the lines and went searching. Fired up the big motor (40#) and starting making big S turns...looking for signs of life.

When I got straight out from Eagle Beach I started seeing a few more bottom blips...and a few suspenders.  Shut down the motor and began slow dragging a pair of baited fligs.  First and only munch of the day came at 9:15 on a fire tiger flig.  Turned out to be a standard Willard Bay cookie cutter kitty.  It fought pretty well in the cold water and I sent him back for a future rematch after a big thankee smooch.  Skunk begone.  Not another sniff I was aware of for the rest of the morning.

Had a surprise Howdy from an approaching boat.  Turned out to be Wiperhunter2 and Wiperslayer1.  They had told me they were going to Bear Lake so it was a surprise to see them.  They muttered something (probably profane) about the Big Blue being iced in so they had to come back this way.  Then they rocketed off into the great unknown and I didn't see them again until I left about noonish.

Lovely day.  Water temp started to climb a bit once the sun came out.  Just over 37 at noon.  Once it stays over about 40 degrees we should do better for some prespawn walleyes.
Looks like you have if figured out just fine, blue font and all. We ended up with two cool cats and got a few perchy type bites but only the cats were out to play for us.
Now if we can just get everyone else on board.
(02-29-2020, 12:26 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looks like you have if figured out just fine, blue font and all. We ended up with two cool cats and got a few perchy type bites but only the cats were out to play for us.
Now if we can just get everyone else on board.
Yesterday, On my way to the VA clinic in Ogden, I stopped by the North marina around 8. There was some crazy breaking ice to escape to the bay. It looked like a tackle store fell on top of a plumber supply store. Big Grin  On my return trip home, I stopped by again to see him still out near the bouy area; ice free. I took a couple pics but with just my phone he was too far away.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Pretty strange there is still ice forming in the channel, as warm as it's been the last two nights, at least at my house, maybe it is cooler at Willard. Undecided