Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New AIS boat law changes proposed.
Where do I begin?  How about at the beginning.  Back in 2015, there was a pompous windbag in the Utah Senate that decided he knew what Utah needed to combat the Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) problem in Utah WITHOUT asking for any public input.  I made an attempt back then to try and discuss it with him on the phone and through emails.  I was talking to a brick wall.  The law passed and resident, registered boat owners had a $10 AIS fee tacked on to every one of their registered water vessel through the registration process.  Non-residents didn't have to pony up any money and neither did residents using non-registered water vessels in Utah (they do if they use it in Idaho or Wyoming, but not at home).  And that original bill didn't provide for any accountability for how that money could be spent.

That was 5 years ago.  Now, somebody finally woke up about half way and realized that Utah was missing an opportunity to generate more funding for the AIS Program by FINALLY collecting an AIS fee from non-residents using water vessels in Utah that would have to be registered if owned by a Utah resident.  That's a good thing and I'm in favor of it.  However, there no instructions in the new bill on how to collect those funds.  That part of the bill has been kicked down the road and placed in the DWR in basket.  They will have to figure out how to do that.  Oh, and ALL fee payers: ". . . shall successfully complete an aquatic invasive species education course offered by the division" prior to launching a vessel anywhere in the state.  The form you pick up at the launch and date & sign and leave in your vehicle will no longer work alone; you have to take a course and pass.  And of course, none of this applies to non-registered type water vessels.

The bill does call for the fees to be sent to an AIS fund and be reserved for funding aquatic invasive species prevention and containment efforts; what ever that means.

Most, if not all, of our border states use a decal or stamp as proof that the AIS fee has been paid.  And with few exceptions, ALL water vessels must purchase the stamp or decal.  But the new bills sponsor thinks is to big a step to take all at once.  Some group of folks might disagree with that and object.  And the state just couldn't have that, now, could they?  It matters not that it makes perfect sense.

I asking each and every one of you to take a hard look at this bill and determine for your self if you feel it a good bill or not.  I do NOT think it is a good bill as written and I've asked the author (Utah Representative Steve Waldrip) to withdraw it and improve it.  He has refused.  I have asked my representative to vote against it if/when it reaches the House floor for a vote.  There is now a Senate Sponsor (Senator David Hinkins) and I've written to him asking him to withdraw his sponsorship.  I also wrote to my State Senator and asked him to vote against this bill.

If any of you don't know how to reach your legislators, please feel free to reach out to me.  I'd be more than happy to help, if I can.  Thanks for listening.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
At 3:13 PM on 2/24/2020, HB 255 (Boat Fees Amendments) submitted by Representative Steve Waldrip passed in the House on a vote of Yeas 68, Nays 4, & N/V 3.  I can't imagine that the Senate won't follow suit and pass it as well.  Well, I tried. Angry
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
It's dissappointing that our law makers don't listen or come up with decent well thought out legislation.
Don't get what big deal is, it's still better than nothing. Laws can be amended. I don't see why the law has to specify how the fee is going to be collected.