Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake
On 2-19 I dragged my boat to state park marina but come to the conclusion that it was to bitterly cold. Lake was very much fishable by boat with minimal ice sheeting in spots. I noticed my hydraulic steering actuator seal on my main motor was leaking. So it was a no go at this point and I returned home. Once I got back into warmer climate of the SLC valley & north Ogden the seals stopped leaking.
Next a planned trip to the big blue was Friday 2-28. This time it was warmer fishing weather but the next snagged I ran into is when I got to the lake it was completely capped with exception of a clear path leading out to entrance of main body from launch thru bubbler system. Disappointing trips!!!
Dang Roger that's a couple of tough trips, hopefully the next time the fish will pay you back 4 fold
That is what we found on our trip up there on Thurs, we even drove around to the other side of the lake to find the same conditions. A small boat could have launched at First point but I did not feel like taking the chance, since I would have had to go over a humb of ice at the shore to launch. I heard from Scott that two weeks ago they were slaying them, with 30 fish days, just our luck it would freeze this late in the Winter.
At least the drive was good both days to & from. Reports on lake conditions were somewhat delinquent for some reason.  Dodgy
(03-01-2020, 10:09 PM)Bduck Wrote: At least the drive was good both days to & from. Reports on lake conditions were somewhat delinquent for some reason.  Dodgy

We tried to fish Bear Lake yesterday (Saturday 2/29) but there was too much ice. After breaking ice for almost a mile we turned around and came back to the marina. There was one larger boat that we watched break ice and I assume make it to the rock pile but it was impossible to follow their trail due to sheets of ice stacking up and making it even harder to break through the ice. Looking at the web camera today it looks like it might be fishable but I won't be able to get back out for two weeks. After a disappointing trip to Bear Lake we tried our luck at Willard in the afternoon but we marked very few fish (covered a lot of the lake) and didn't get any bites. Where do all of the fish go at Willard this time of year? They seem to hide very well from my two fish finders. I did notice 5-6 walleyes that had been filleted in the dumpster. If anyone knows how to catch walleye this time of the year I would love some advice (feel free to PM me). By the way, my old login was fly_fishing_nut but I could never get it to work on this new site, so after a lot of attempts I gave up and started a new account (like several others have had to do).