Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Leap Year Feb 29th
Tongue 
The new site is interesting definitly still a work in progress - I actually didn't have any problem logging on just a password reset.  I was expecting the worse, but it wasn't bad.  So maybe they are fixing all of the many many many problems.  But I am here to talk fishing. 

Saturday Feb 29th - Leap year 2020.  Around 8:00 am Heading up to Strawberry Reservoir through Parley's Canyon - Bad idea!  There was an accident that happened earlier that day at 3:30 am a car got on the freeway heading down the wrong direction it unfortunatly did not end well for the young 23 year old man. https://www.ksl.com/article/46723800/off...nyon-crash 
We spent over an hour in traffic heading up the mountain.  Then we had to make another stop in Heber.  

By the time we actually got our Poles down into the water at Mud Creek it was 11:00 am - Well past that prime time 8:00 - 10:00 am fishing time at the Berry.  Tents lined the North side of the bay arm all the throught the channel and into the parking lot, from what looked like a scout troop camped in the parking lot. 

The ice and Snow was 19 in - 4 in of hard pack snow that was not slushy and the right good soild dark ice.  Blue Skies very light breeze outside temp 45.  Water Temp 36 - to avoid the crowds we opted for a different strategy and headed West towards the top of the channel - started fishing in 10 FOW  in the weeds.   Chris E. Johnson immeditatly landed a couple of cuts right out of the gate. 
He ended the day with a total four fish.  3 caught on white paddle bugs, because that is all he knows what to fish with.  Later in the day he got real creative moved out to 13 FOW and used a white tub jig and landed a nice size rainbow. 

My creativity was not working as well - Although I was marking fish throughout the day the Bows would not take my creative large offerings of bubble gum colors. 

After an hour of Skunk - I finally swallowed by pride and gave the fish what they wanted instead of what I wanted them to have.  No bright colors just plain jane boring small white paddle bugs.  Maybe the colors with the sun were just a little to bright for the eyesight.   I ended the day with 2 a big fat cut and a really nice fat beautiful rainbow with real dark purple coloring.  (Are the rainbows spawning? Is that why they are dark purple right now?  Or just the type of species they last planted?)  

At 3 pm I quit marking fish with no more bites so at 3:30 we called it a day.  And no traffic on the way home.  

Rob
Glad to hear you had some success, even though it wasn't great. When I went the other day with a couple of other guys they got skunked and I only caught one, but at least it gave me a bump in the challenge.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.