Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge ice conditions
I usually wouldn't be too bothered about conditions, because we have had great ice up there so far, but I want to do a trip there this weekend and I see the weather is supposed to be over 50 on Friday and Saturday.  That makes me skittish going out on ice, it's a good self preservation trait.  That said, should the ice hold over the weekend?  I will be fairly far north, probably near the skunk cliffs.

Thanks in advance.
Further north the better. We're planning on going out of anvil this coming weekend but if we don't like what we see when we get there we'll be heading up to atleast south buckboard for sure. Take a spud bar. I'll be looking really good at the edges and watching them all weekend. Having a couple back up planned areas to get off is always a good idea in these conditions
We fished across from Anvil last Friday and Saturday and conditions were still good.  There was some water pooling on the ice by the afternoon on Saturday, but it was mostly near south facing shorelines.  Depending on where we were on the ice sheet, thickness ranged from 14-20 inches.  The ground was soft near the shorelines in the afternoons, so be careful where you park.  It could easily be frozen ground in the morning and a mess after it warms up.  There was some muddy spots on the roads as well, but nothing 4WD couldn't handle.  It's been cold the last day and a half, likely firming the ice surface up again.

Good luck!   Ryno
(03-03-2020, 02:42 PM)Ryno Wrote: We fished across from Anvil last Friday and Saturday and conditions were still good.  There was some water pooling on the ice by the afternoon on Saturday, but it was mostly near south facing shorelines.  Depending on where we were on the ice sheet, thickness ranged from 14-20 inches.  The ground was soft near the shorelines in the afternoons, so be careful where you park.  It could easily be frozen ground in the morning and a mess after it warms up.  There was some muddy spots on the roads as well, but nothing 4WD couldn't handle.  It's been cold the last day and a half, likely firming the ice surface up again.

Good luck!   Ryno

Hey Ryan, thanks for the report. I saw you and Adam on his show last week, were you guys really fishing at Sheep creek? From what he was saying the ice wasn't that thick there 5", how do you think it is holding up now?
Just a heads up from what I've been hearing. The ice is starting to get sketchy in anvil. We never seen over a foot of ice this year going south off the point there. There's a pretty good open water spot north of the big ridge and south west of the point I would stay clear of. There's apparently quite a few ridges going out of the ramp at Holmes also so it's looking like south buckboard- buckboard area for us this weekend. Be safe, it's going to be warm this weekend for sure and warm south/ south west winds.  Now it's all 2nd hand info but this time of year I'll take that info and go north to look for more favorable conditions. There's big fish up there too
(03-05-2020, 12:32 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-03-2020, 02:42 PM)Ryno Wrote: We fished across from Anvil last Friday and Saturday and conditions were still good.  There was some water pooling on the ice by the afternoon on Saturday, but it was mostly near south facing shorelines.  Depending on where we were on the ice sheet, thickness ranged from 14-20 inches.  The ground was soft near the shorelines in the afternoons, so be careful where you park.  It could easily be frozen ground in the morning and a mess after it warms up.  There was some muddy spots on the roads as well, but nothing 4WD couldn't handle.  It's been cold the last day and a half, likely firming the ice surface up again.

Good luck!   Ryno

Hey Ryan, thanks for the report. I saw you and Adam on his show last week, were you guys really fishing at Sheep creek? From what he was saying the ice wasn't that thick there 5", how do you think it is holding up now?

Yes sir, we were in Sheep Creek.  The ice was variable then, about 5-inches near the launch but 7-8 inches above it and back towards the creek.  I thought to contact you, but it was when this site was down.  Looking at the camera, it's still capped, but I haven't fished it since last Friday.  It's really supposed to get warm today and tomorrow, so I'm not sure how long it will hold.
Great, thanks for the info, wiperslayer and a two others are headed up there today, sound like that is where they plan to start. I was surprised you guys did so well there, especially that big pup that you caught. Too bad the bots have made an apperance there though.