Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum, March 2, 2020
Temp was 1*F going through Sardine Canyon at about 8 this morning.  At the boat ramp it was 20*F.  There was about 5" of snow on the ice and the ice edge near the ramp was solid.  Arrived at the selected spot and got the Nanook XL Thermal set up a little after 9.  Talked with two local folks already pulling them in not too far away.  They had a dozen or more already on the ice.  My depth was 30 FOW and there were several blips near the bottom.  Set up the Jigger Jacker first at about 15 feet.  Dropped the other line to the bottom; fish on.  Stayed that way until I quit about 1 PM.  Iced 61 perch with 4 over 9".  Three of the perch came off the Jacker.  Go figure.  I didn't keep any other than the 2 I used for bait.  I did not ice any trout.  It was a very nice day for perch fishing with a severe clear sky and vary lite breeze.  I never turned the heater on and had to open the back door a little, several times, to stop the sweating.  Life is good.    Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Hey Bob, if you want the trout, I found them in only 15' of water last Monday, just outside of last years weed beds.  I did almost as well as you, but seldom got to the bottom for perch, trout would not leave it alone. Big Grin

10" of ice then, solid edges, but then the ice was slick as greased ball bearings.
Sounds good Bob, I think we're into overtime this year to still be on the ice around here... pretty cool... congrats on a fun sounding day... Later Jeff
Looks like you're still doing well with the perch Bob. Congrats!!! We hit Pineview again today, caught 14 but it seemed that they were hard to locate, we moved around several times and never found them like we have in the past. If the ice holds up maybe we'll get back to Hyrum one more time.  Undecided
(03-03-2020, 11:16 PM)jjannie Wrote: Looks like you're still doing well with the perch Bob. Congrats!!! We hit Pineview again today, caught 14 but it seemed that they were hard to locate, we moved around several times and never found them like we have in the past. If the ice holds up maybe we'll get back to Hyrum one more time.  Undecided

HEY - you finally got logged back in.   Smile   I'll be back up there next week if the edges hold up.  Maybe you can join Big Earl and myself.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
[Image: 06-BD3433-C0-FF-4-EF7-9614-84383-E72-A35-A.jpg] [Image: 2-E64-F7-FB-EB0-C-4-FC9-BE9-D-B5-A115-C6-EF24.jpg] I wondered if you would be out on Hyrum or Pineview that morning. Sounds like a successful day. 

I chose PV since it's just a tad closer, I had no luck at my first chosen spot in 37 FOW ( north side of CP), guys west of me nearby were icing a few. I took a few work calls and found that I didn't have much time to spend searching. I booked it over further west in 50 FOW and the bottom had 6' of markings. Iced 30 perch and 3 crappie. My goal was to make up some bait so kept them all. It was fast fishing from start to finish at that second spot.
JArner, do you de-scale your perch to be used for bait? Would doing so help? Would it be worth the mess? Just wondering.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(03-04-2020, 03:50 PM)JArner Wrote: It was fast fishing from start to finish at that second spot.
Big Grin   Ya done good.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(03-04-2020, 05:06 PM)BURLEY Wrote: JArner, do you de-scale your perch to be used for bait? Would doing so help? Would it be worth the mess? Just wondering.

Hue, I did scale them. From what I read in here if you don't then it's difficult to thread onto the hook. I used a 5gal bucket half full with water and scaled them in there, cut down on the mess.