Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outboard recommendations
Hoping for some advice from the more experienced members. I am looking to get a small all-purpose outboard. I have 3 boats I would like to use it on. would be the primary motor for craft #1 and #2, and a back-up/trolling motor for craft #3. I have little to no experience with outboards.

Craft #1 is a 12' aluminum sea sprite from the 70's. This has been my primary fishing boat since I was a kid. In all the years, I have always used 30# minn-kota with a marine battery (or oars). The electric motor is quiet and it gets the job done, as long as I don;t want to go over 4mph, or troll for more than a few hours. The nameplate on the transom gives a max outboard of 10HP and a max weight in the boat of  about 350lbs. 

Craft #2 is a 16' fiberglass canoe. it has a sqaure back to mount a motor, and have used the electric motor a number of times, but paddles are most often used. On occasion would be nice to have an outboard to help move along. I do not know what (if any) hp the canoe is rated for.

Craft #3 is a 16' hydro-swift hydroswift project boat (there will be some other threads covering this) that I have been working on over the winter and am hoping to get into shape so I can take it out this summer. I have an old outboard on this now that functions and can get the boat moving pretty quick but it does not like to go under about 1.5mph, and can be moody when I want it to start. Was able to take the boat out once last fall before it got cold to find all this out.
Due to the age of the motor, I would feel much better with a trolling motor that can also be used as a backup if the main outboard doesn;t feel like working.

I have been considering a portable outboard in the 5-6hp range. with a weight of just over 50lbs, I can manage moving it from one craft to the other, and the weight is not much more than the electric motor-battery combo that I have been using. The 5-6hp would be able to get craft #1 (and craft #2) moving fast enough to increase my range a bit more than what I have now, and with a couple gallon tank, I could spend all day out on the water without worrying about running out of juice. A motor of this size would also work as a trolling motor for craft #3, and serve as a backup for if/when the main outboard gets stubborn.  I am fine with a pull start, and most of the portable outboards can be outfitted with an alternator to take care of any electronics if I ever wanted to go that direction.

Am I on the right track with my thinking, or, should I be looking at something larger (or smaller)? Any other recommedations or things I should be considering? Any recommendations on manufacturers to seek out or avoid (Tohatsu, honda, mercury, etc.)?
I'd recommend a Mercury since they are the lightest weight in the smaller motor categories.  Mercs are avialable in 2.5, 3.5, 4, 5, 6 hps.  The two smallest ones weigh 41 lbs each.  The three larger ones all weigh 57lbs each.  They all have integral fuel tanks (what you want for canoes/tiny boats.  It just a matter of what fits your buget and what size engine the canoe/boats are rated for.  Personally I'd go for the maximum size you can afford.
I agree with Scott, on the sizes and what you have said it fine too but I've never heard of an alternator on anything smaller than 8hp but they could make one that I'm not aware of. I would not consider a Honda, unless it's brand new because they are hard to get parts for of local shops to work on from what I've heard. I think Tohatsu is a good option, same as a Murcury from what I've heard, both are good motors. Johnson and Evinrude also make good motors.
Thanks for the recommendations and input.
Weight is definitely a concern, as a 100+lb 9.9Hp with myself and gear about puts me at, or over, the limit of the little aluminum boat.
(03-06-2020, 04:16 PM)mike_d Wrote: Thanks for the recommendations and input.
Weight is definitely a concern, as a 100+lb 9.9Hp with myself and gear about puts me at, or over, the limit of the little aluminum boat.

You are looking for 1 motor to use on 3 boats, is that what I understand ? One  that is easily moved from boat to boat. I would agree that a Merc 4, 5, or 6[font] [/font]hp 4 stroke are the best options. Mercurys are reliable motors (I just used one for 13 years), and there are shops all over Utah that have good Merc mechanics.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(03-18-2020, 05:26 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:

You are looking for 1 motor to use on 3 boats, is that what I understand ? One  that is easily moved from boat to boat. I would agree that a Merc 4, 5, or 6[font] [/font]hp 4 stroke are the best options. Mercurys are reliable motors (I just used one for 13 years), and there are shops all over Utah that have good Merc mechanics.

Thats right, would be the primary motor on the two small boats, and a kicker/backup on the runabout.
I think I have settled it to a Merc or Tohatsu 6hp. Now I just need to get the money saved for it!
(03-18-2020, 06:22 PM)mike_d Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 05:26 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:

Thats right, would be the primary motor on the two small boats, and a kicker/backup on the runabout.
I think I have settled it to a Merc or Tohatsu 6hp. Now I just need to get the money saved for it!

Not sure how close you are to the Layton area, but I just traded a 15 hp 4 stroke Merc in on my new 25 hp. That 15 hp is 13 years old, but it was still running well. Freds Marine gave me a fair trade value on it and said it needed a new impeller and the oil, oil filter, and lower end lube changed, but they may still have it, and you may be able to get it at less $ than a brand new one.

Cool
Unfortunately the 15hp is probably a bit too big for my purposes. Thanks for looking out for me though.
(03-25-2020, 01:24 PM)mike_d Wrote: Unfortunately the 15hp is probably a bit too big for my purposes. Thanks for looking out for me though.
Yea, I thought about that after I posted that reply. I was thinking of that 15 hp as the kicker for your bigger boat, and forgot you wanted to be able to move a motor from one boat to another. That 15 hp would be a bit heavy to do that, and it has a thru the hull bolt system.

Cool