Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night Ice Fishing report for Crappie - Pineview
I was not going to post this for a few days, but got a lot of questions today about how it was and the conditions and figured maybe I better post the report in case someone wants to go before the ice is crap

We (Cookie and CBP) fished Pineview Thursday Evening  for a few hours targeting Crappie. Been trying to get this trip in for a month. Glad we finally did.

We fished the narrows pullout on the north side in 35-45 FOW. Set up and picked up a few perch as the sun set (kept for bait). As the sun set the Crappie got active fast. Fished with a high/low rig. Top was a dropshot inline hook with a gulp minnow. Bottom was a glow jig and spike. Picked up a few right off. As the action slowed we switched a lindy glow spoon on the bottom as an attractor. Started picking em up again on the upper hook with the gulp minnow. When that slowed we put the glow spoon on the upper position and put the glow jig back on the bottom. That was our best set up into the night. Action was pretty steady. A very enjoyable trip. Mixed size. A few better ones but on the whole mostly small.

Ice Conditions - edges were still very strong in the narrows. Water starting to pool in places. We fished ice that was about 6 inches of grey ice starting to show rot and another 4-6 under that was good ice. The ice is still good but is changing quickly. I would expect to see the edge start to pull away any time and the ice to quickly deteriorate. If you want to do this I would get there soon and step once spud twice as the week goes on.

here is the video - I make no exscuse for what I am wearining at the start - i like my comfort

https://youtu.be/BUOGSpWg1lA

Now time to get my cat order in from whisker seeker, plan my blue lake run, book my powell trip, and get ready for the ice off flurry I love so much
Great report and looks like a fun outing.  I tried watching your video twice (and I did watch it all the way through); however, I always had two versions of your video running simultaneously. Very annoying with the audio from both vidoes playing at the same time, but a few seconds apart.  Probably a glitch with the new software.
(03-07-2020, 07:18 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Great report and looks like a fun outing.  I tried watching your video twice (and I did watch it all the way through); however, I always had two versions of your video running simultaneously. Very annoying with the audio from both vidoes playing at the same time, but a few seconds apart.  Probably a glitch with the new software.

I hope others are not hearing double if they watch the video. I am plenty annoying as is without having to hear me in stereo.

Cookie enjoyed the night run and has been asking if its time to sneak out on the Willard docks or the south channel at evening to see if the early walleye are showing up - told her only way to know for sure is to do it.
Good report and video, if I maight make one observation, sounds like your tape deck needs replaced!
What depth of water were you fishing?
(03-08-2020, 09:34 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: What depth of water were you fishing?

We fished 32 to start and moved to about 39-45 towards the end
[quote="wyoguy" pid='1095176' dateline='1583689418']
Good report and video, if I maight make one observation, sounds like your tape deck needs replaced!

Cookie tells me the same thing. I do take requests....maybe somthing from the 50s sock hop rock era.
My dad used to say he'd sing for 50 cents or shut up for $1
Life is not about how to avoid the storm but rather how to dance in the rain!