Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe
I was in Sportsman Warehouse in Idaho Falls, and the fishing boats said fishing was excellent for "big" kokanee and perch. I'm heading there tomorrow. Might be the last time on ice.

I tried and tried to edit my post. But that doesn't seem to work. Dam spell check. I ment the fishing "board" not boat.
ain't technology great?  good luck
Please post how the ice and fishing was.  Wanting to head out Friday morning.
I'm sorry I didn't get this out sooner. The fishing was so slow, I forgot to post. I seen a post that a atv and four guys went through the ice. I believe it because, when you get on the ice first thing when it is below 32 deg. It is solid and you think there is over a foot of ice. But when you drill a hole you can tell there is 8 inches of bad ice/froze snow and then only five inches of good ice. There was a groop of atv's and big sleds went across the lake around noon, just before it started to get warm. When I left at 1:30, just walking back I was sinking 6" into the soft stuff.

There was two guys that I was fishing by. We were by the island just off the boat ramp. it goes from 30 feet to 14. And they were in 14 feet of water with a two man swing over tent. They each had a ten inch hole in front of them and could see clearly to the bottom. Because they could see so good they did catch some trout and a few pirch. But they didn't see any kokes.
Thanks for the report.  Sad to see the ice go.
Kokes seem to be in 50' of water there.
Big Grin 
Well I went for a ride looking for Turkey's all the way to Swan Valley.  Saw a few birds

My big goal was to check on the ice on Ririe. The ice is soft for as far as you can chuck a 3 lb rock. Ther is open water in spots by the dam end.

I would guess by the 25th you will be able to put boats in at Juniper.

Smile Smile Smile
(03-18-2020, 08:30 PM)Hombre Wrote: Well I went for a ride looking for Turkey's all the way to Swan Valley.  Saw a few birds

My big goal was to check on the ice on Ririe. The ice is soft for as far as you can chuck a 3 lb rock. Ther is open water in spots by the dam end.

Smile Smile Smile

Thanks for the info on the ice conditions, it won't be long now for open water fishing.
(03-18-2020, 08:30 PM)Hombre Wrote: Well I went for a ride looking for Turkey's all the way to Swan Valley.  Saw a few birds

Smile Smile Smile

Thanks Hombre, appreciate the report.
Yep, I was there 2 weeks ago and didn't figure it'd last long, was pretty soft then.
The road to Blacktail was open

There was about 30 ft of open water along the ramps side

Now we need some 50 degree temps and some of the nasty wind to break up the ice

Smile Smile Smile
Does anyone know if/when the ice goes, will both boat ramps be opened up to the public.  I know in several adjoining states, the boat ramps have been closed due to the COVID-19 and will remain closed until further notice.  I have not heard anything from anyone on this and can't seem to find anything out. Also, where you need either a day pass or season pass, will they be selling them, especially the season pass because you need to be within the 6' social distancing space. If anyone knows anything about this can you please post it up for everyones information.  Thank you.
Ramps should be open as nothing is shut down in the state. Other states that have shut down everything, some keep ramps open and have waived fees and some have shut them down. As for passes, you should be able to buy them online.
(03-25-2020, 06:38 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Ramps should be open as nothing is shut down in the state. Other states that have shut down everything, some keep ramps open and have waived fees and some have shut them down. As for passes, you should be able to buy them online.

I know my budy in Oregon, most all the ramps are shut down.  A few open but very few.  Where online do you purchase the stickers at?  I didnt know you could buy online. I know the biggest issue with the stay at home order and fishing is keeping the mandatory 6 ft distance in the boat unless.  I know I cant keep that in mine no matter where we are in the boat so it leaves me to fishing alone which isnt any fun. And, where the order mandates a pretty strict enforcement of the order by LE personell, I just wonder how strict they will be if we are out fishing with relatives? or other close friends.  Thanks
Not sure how this is all going to work. I see state parks are open for day use and not for camping. Since that is county operated, I'd call the county parks and rec and see if they're closing it or just for day use and can see if they sell the passes there, I thought it was a state run park and those passes are available online. Not sure how strict they will be with the social distancing for members of your famy, in the order it states to social distance from people that are not members of your family when outdoor recreating.
Talked to Bob (Camp Host) this morning.  He said the boat ramp by the dam is open.  You will have to paid your daily fee.
He said someone put in a boat at about noon.
On one of the Facebook pages, a lot of talk about fishing with this shut down order was taking place.  I guess in Owyhee county, the sheriff and Idaho Power shut down totally all of the boat ramps around CJ.  And I guess Idaho Power shut down all their ramps throughout Idaho.  Others are supposedly following suit. 

The one issue with the order and fishing is the social distancing part of the order.  The distance is 6ft and in most boats you cannot meet that distance. If it is in the same family supposedly it is ok to go like that but if you are from different families that is where the kicker comes into play and the distance in most cases cannot be met. But, in the order fishing alongwith farming is listed as an essential activity as long as you meet the distance requirement and keep groups under 10 which some cant meet either.

Good luck either way and let's just pray everyone stays safe and healthy.
I'm sure everything is going to be shut down due to overcrowding soon enough. Gonna go look at my lake and see if I can do some fishing.
(03-27-2020, 04:07 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: I'm sure everything is going to be shut down due to overcrowding soon enough. Gonna go look at my lake and see if I can do some fishing.

I went up to Blacktail this afternoon. If you put in the south ramp you motor around into the Willow Creek arm aways you can then motor back into the big arm heading up towards the dam.

Cant see far enough up to see how far the open water goes.

If the weather is decent Mon I will put the jet boat in and see how far I can go and then fish for awhile.

Smile Smile Smile
Has anyone fished Ririe this week.

Planning on going Sat.

Plus I need to get a season boat pass. 

Smile Smile Smile