Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard N. Marina 3-11-20
I heerd tell that the ice was all gone from the north marina.  Hoped I could do better than my last trip.  And I did.  I got twice as many fish.  Got one catfish last time and two today.  Big whoop.

Launched to open water about 7:30 am.  A big ol' moon was still hanging in the sky...over glassy smooth water.  I was hoping I wouldn't be "mooned".  Air temp was 35, water temp inside the marina was 44.  But dropped to just over 42 and even just a bit under 42 outside the marina.  The water didn't warm even a teensy bit under the cloud cover.  But the air temp crawled up to about 45 at noon departure.

Thought I was gonna have a bananner day.  First cast inside the marina got molested...but not terminally.  Then my second rod...with a chartreuse perch flig and small minnow...took a dive and I was bendo with a kitty.  First fish within 15 minutes of launching.  But then....

I fished another hour all around the marina without any interruptions.  Saw a few fish...very few...on sonar.  But they all had their little mouths tightly closed.  Worked outside the marina and fished along the channel edge.  Had a "perchy" inquiry on a fligged minnow and set the hook.  The 14 inch walleye was evidently young and inexperienced.  Didn't know how to hang on and arranged his own early release.  Was hoping he might have some eager relatives nearby.  Nope.

Worked my way over to the Eagle Beach area and prospected water from 8' out to 21'.  I almost always get a few tugs in the "Kitty Condo" zone.  Not today.  Only saw a few isolated fishy blips on sonar and nothing on my line.  Did see a few wimpy carp poking just the tip of their noses up into the cold air.

Decided to hit inside the marina again before hanging it up.  Got another fligged kitty in almost the same place as the earlier one...at 10 am.  But in spite of diligently working a whole lotta area inside the marina I got no more love.  Did see IceJunkie paddling around in his new Togiak.  And he came over to say howdy in the parking lot later.  Saw a few optimistic crappie chasers chuckin' bubbles along the east shore of the marina.  Didn't see any caught and none of them stayed very long.

Also saw a couple of boats and a pretty good sized crew from DWR heading out to do some walleye netting.  Chris Penne was a part of the crowd and told me when they came back in that they weren't seeing many walleye yet.  Understandable.  But
soon.
[Image: MORNING-MOON.jpg] [Image: EARLY-KITTY.jpg] [Image: MAIN-LAKE-TEMPS.jpg] [Image: CRAPPIE-CHASER.jpg] [Image: 10-AM-KITTY.jpg] [Image: DWR-CREW.jpg]
Was going to head down today, but Truck Transfer Case took priority.  Sounds like it was a good day to have my truck fixed instead of tubing.  Oh well, I could have at least gave you some company.  LOL
glad you got out Pat. Hopefully I will get out very soon. Thinking of the Knolls

are you liking your sonar in that location?
(03-12-2020, 12:33 AM)lee! Wrote: glad you got out Pat. Hopefully I will get out very soon. Thinking of the Knolls

are you liking your sonar in that location?
Yes.  It really works well for me.  And it is so easy to adjust or to move out of the way if I need to move it.

Weather early next week doesn't look so good.  But about Friday it might work.   And the kitty contest will be underway.
friday works