Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YES! PIKE BACK IN COMINS LAKE ELY, NV
They can't hide it anymore. There "eradication" of Pike from Comins Lake in 2015 failed. NDOW wouldn't spend money on this if it wasn't a failure. Check out the article from the Ely Times. I bet there are a few decent size ones by now after they started stocking trout again in 2015.

https://elynews.com/2020/03/13/northern-...mins-lake/
Oops, horrible that they consider them a trash fish, maybe they should manage it as a Pike fishery, great habitat for them there.
I get why it can't be sustained as a Pike Lake, but there are so many places to go Trout Fishing in Nevada.  Comins is the one lake that has something completely different.  They should of put Tiger Muskie in it, and I gurantee they would of helped fend off there growth.
I could not agree more, too many trout lakes out there, whats wrong with having a pike lake. Thanks for getting back on the site and being the first member to post on the Nevada board.
Trout Unlimited has a lot to do with it being a trout fishery, but just up the road is a great trout lake also. They need a little diversity in that area, Pike was one reason I spent a lot of time in Ely, caught some nice ones there and saw even nicer ones just left to rot on the shore.
(03-14-2020, 10:51 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Trout Unlimited has a lot to do with it being a trout fishery, but just up the road is a great trout lake also. They need a little diversity in that area, Pike was one reason I spent a lot of time in Ely, caught some nice ones there and saw even nicer ones just left to rot on the shore.

Yes there is.  CAVE LAKE & ILLIPAH is awesome!  I know Comins has resources in it to grow bigger fish, but seriously, there are big Trout in all trout lakes if you know how to fish them.  My biggest Brown still comes from Cave Lake
I agree Comins does grow some bigger fish. Cave lake is a great fishery, plus has great scenery, never fished illipah. There's a state record out of cave lake I believe. Trout are fun to catch, but I don't like eating them, take bass, Pike or walleye any day.
(03-16-2020, 02:10 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: I agree Comins does grow some bigger fish. Cave lake is a great fishery, plus has great scenery, never fished illipah. There's a state record out of cave lake I believe. Trout are fun to catch, but I don't like eating them, take bass, Pike or walleye any day.

Record Brown Trout caught out of Cave.  27lbs 5oz
That's what I thought.
Well, these are the rules...

From the Nevada Fishing Regulations:

"Northern pike are not classified as game fish; they are a prohibited species. Anglers wishing to keep northern pike to eat are required to kill them upon capture. There is no limit for northern pike, and anglers who wish to assist in the removal of northern pike from the waters of the state and who wish to dispose of them may do so without regard for Nevada’s wanton waste laws. The importation, transportation or possession of live northern pike is prohibited (Refer to NAC 503.110)."

It's the same in California. I am not a fan of any pike species and I agree with the rule. You may now berate me.
I'm familiar with the rules in Nevada. Just think it's a shame so many good eating fish just get left to rot, I'd rather eat a pike than a trout.
After seeing how long it took to eradicate them in Lake Davis, CA, i don't mind that, and I'm a trout-eater. They destroyed the trout population of Lake Davis and were very difficult to eradicate.

I DO disagree with just leaving them on the bank. I'll bet they compost into great fertilizer. I'd think there'd be a big market for that. If I caught one I'd use it that way in my 420 grows in the back yard.

I can agree to disagree.
It's difficult to get rid of any fish, I'm sure more difficult with pike. I saw lots of big carcasses on the shore there, Sad thing is cave lake just up the road has some huge trout in it, so why not manage comins for the pike. Don't get me wrong, I love catching big trout, just don't like eating them, hell I'd keep trout here and meet someone in Wells, nv to trade for pike. I'll agree to disagree also.
(03-29-2021, 09:47 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: It's difficult to get rid of any fish, I'm sure more difficult with pike. I saw lots of big carcasses on the shore there, Sad thing is cave lake just up the road has some huge trout in it, so why not manage comins for the pike. Don't get me wrong, I love catching big trout, just don't like eating them, hell I'd keep trout here and meet someone in Wells, nv to trade for pike. I'll agree to disagree also.

Hence using them as fertilizer. You'd have to cut it up so it'd compost faster, but pike would make absolutely excellent fertilizer. I only grow 420 but my partner (f) grows all manner of vegetables and I always have some junk fish to bring home for the garden.

Fish (and kelp from the ocean) make massive flowers in my 420 grows!!!
I've heard fish make great fertilizer.
(03-30-2021, 02:41 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: I've heard fish make great fertilizer.

Sometimes you have to let them compost for three years (bigger fish take longer) but I have some from two years ago (I was totally SKUNKED last year, had to have back surgery, too) that are about ready (smaller specimens) and the compost is good and stinky. I keep it in a sealed composter so the neighbors don't shoot me but they always know when the grow is getting good.

I only grow for myself, never sell anything, may gift some to friends, but that's it. It's for J and me.
(03-29-2021, 11:16 PM)Old_Man Wrote: Hence using them as fertilizer. You'd have to cut it up so it'd compost faster, but pike would make absolutely excellent fertilizer. I only grow 420 but my partner (f) grows all manner of vegetables and I always have some junk fish to bring home for the garden. Fish (and kelp from the ocean) make massive flowers in my 420 grows!!!
I had never heard of 420 grows until you mentioned it. I ask my wife if she had heard of it and to my surprise she had, she said it was a special day on April 20th, when I ask her why that day was special she told me. Now I have an understanding of what 420 grows are.
https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/foru...hp?fid=333

Have you seen this section on BFT, it's about posting and sharing info on gardens, not sure about you 420 grows but if your partner want to view it and post some pics of the garden, that would be awesome. Except for the members back East, most of us are just getting our gardens ready now, still a month or so away from planting.
420 is 420. It's legal in CA and NV. I use it for pain, sleeping and as an anti-anxiety med. Better to be on that than benzos, which are highly addictive. My first grow was awesome, lasted more than a year even with my many mistakes and this year should be even better. I'm hoping to find some really Afghani-based strains. Afghani is perfect for me, locks me to the couch and puts me to sleep. I don't ;like alcohol, it mekes me feel terrible. 420 makes me feel good.
(03-29-2021, 09:47 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: It's difficult to get rid of any fish, I'm sure more difficult with pike. I saw lots of big carcasses on the shore there, Sad thing is cave lake just up the road has some huge trout in it, so why not manage comins for the pike. Don't get me wrong, I love catching big trout, just don't like eating them, hell I'd keep trout here and meet someone in Wells, nv to trade for pike. I'll agree to disagree also.
It was difficult enough for Utah to clear Panguitch of the suckers. They chemically treated it and then introduced Tiger Trout to help control any further population regrowth.
That really helped when they treated Panguitch but it doesn't work on all lakes, I think it likely has to do with species that are in the lake. Chubs are really hard to get under control. Tiger Trout are great at controlling some species but the problem with tigers, is that they don't reproduce, so once those planted tigers are caught, it take too long to replace them and get them big enough to keep those rough fish in check.