Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pyramid Lake Cutts (NV)
Got an email from fellow BFTer GSP.  Not sure if he has successfully logged back in to the forum yet.  But, he sent me pics of  some of the nice Lahontan cutts he and his angling buddy have been catching at Pyramid Lake...northeast of Reno.  He noted that the big fish were rolling everywhere.  We may not see him back in Utah for a while. 

[Image: GSP-CUTT.jpg] [Image: GSP-CUTT-2.jpg] pi [Image: GSP-CUTT-3.jpg] [Image: GSP-CUTT-4.jpg] ck a number between 1 and 50
Those are some dandy fish.  Thanks for sharing the pics.
Somehow I can't see myself fishing off a ladder. Tongue  
(03-15-2020, 02:17 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Got an email from fellow BFTer GSP.  Not sure if he has successfully logged back in to the forum yet.  But, he sent me pics of  some of the nice Lahontan cutts he and his angling buddy have been catching at Pyramid Lake...northeast of Reno.  He noted that the big fish were rolling everywhere.  We may not see him back in Utah for a while. 

[Image: GSP-CUTT.jpg] [Image: GSP-CUTT-2.jpg] pi [Image: GSP-CUTT-3.jpg] [Image: GSP-CUTT-4.jpg] ck a number between 1 and 50
He did not elaborate on methodology on this trip.  But, as I recall, last year they were just wading and casting...no ladder needed.  Depends on where you fish and the time of year.  But there are times when having some elevation helps you fish deeper water and make longer casts.  Makes it more difficult to change locations though.

Reminds me of the old joke about a couple of space travelers from earth.  They landed on a planet populated by beautiful women...each over 20 feet tall.  The first guy off the space ship approached one of the inhabitants and said "First take me to your ladder and then take me to your leader."  The joke doesn't specify what tippet they were using.
he sent me that text to I was also worndering if he was back on BFT. will find out he like to eat Kokanee.  
he sent a text last year also.    and said there was boats like mine there. seeing those fish makes you want to go.
but I like Utah WY and Id.

PS I need to learn how to turn on spelling check.
I got to fish Pyramid back in the early '70s...while I lived in Sacramento.  And I tied a lot of big articulated black flies for a few fellow Pyramid fans.  There were still some 20 pounders left in those days, but I never got any that big.

Quite a success story on how the tribe got water restored to the Truckee to boost the fishery...and then found some pure Lahontan strain cutts to plant and repopulate the lake after they were virtually wiped out.  The planters were only small mountain stream fish but their genes kicked in once they were in big waters with good food supply.  Seeing more and bigger fish every year.  Now if they could only do something about all the pelicans that show up to chow down on both the cutts and the suckers they live on during the runs up the Truckee River.

[Image: PELICANS.jpg]
Those are nice fish for sure. I fished the Truckee River a bit last year just outside of Reno. Managed a few on a hares ear nymph. next trip up to see our son plan on doing it again. It was early May when I fished it on a saturday and didnt see no one else. Kinda surprised me bout that but I enjoyed it.
When I lived in Sacramento, I fished the Truckee all the way from Tahoe to Pyramid.  Used to be some great fly flingin' water not far downstream from Tahoe.  But these days you can't find enough water to make a cast between all the rafts and inner tubes.  Almost as bad as the Provo.

Even though the Truckee runs right through Reno it is amazing how many nice browns there are.  Again, kinda like the Provo going through Provo and Orem.  If you take the time to look and use good technique you can get bendo real good.

(03-15-2020, 02:17 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Got an email from fellow BFTer GSP.  Not sure if he has successfully logged back in to the forum yet.  But, he sent me pics of  some of the nice Lahontan cutts he and his angling buddy have been catching at Pyramid Lake...northeast of Reno.  He noted that the big fish were rolling everywhere.  We may not see him back in Utah for a while. 

Just got a followup email from GSP.  In one of the pics it shows the chairs they are fishing from.
[Image: CUTT-COLORS.jpg] [Image: CUTT-SEAT.jpg]
<quote option="&quot;liketrolling&quot; pid='1095668' dateline='1584297634'">PS I need to learn how to turn on spelling check.</quote>Robert, you CAN check spelling.

Click on the Spell Check button shown in the picture above.  That will give you a drop down list.  At the bottom of the list you will see an option to 'Check Spelling'.  Click on it and it will open another window with everything it considers as spelled wrong or that it doesn't recognize.  Go through and correct mispelled words, ignore them, or add them to the dictionary.  See below.

I have tried to use the 'Enable SCAYT' option, but have not found out how to use it or how to make it stay ON as the default mode.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(03-15-2020, 08:06 PM)dubob Wrote: <quote option="&quot;liketrolling&quot; pid='1095668' dateline='1584297634'">PS I need to learn how to turn on spelling check.</quote>Robert, you CAN check spelling.

Click on the Spell Check button shown in the picture above.  That will give you a drop down list.  At the bottom of the list you will see an option to 'Check Spelling'.  Click on it and it will open another window with everything it considers as spelled wrong or that it doesn't recognize.  Go through and correct mispelled words, ignore them, or add them to the dictionary.  See below.

I have tried to use the 'Enable SCAYT' option, but have not found out how to use it or how to make it stay ON as the default mode.

we are getting away from Pats post, but what you are trying to teach me is a big dill.
I tried what you said. it fixed my spelling but left symbols between the words it changed like what is at the bottom.
after I posted the symbols went away.
Most humble apologies folks.  My post above was meant to be posted in another thread.  I don't know how it got posted in this thread.  It's probably Trumps fault.   Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

And Pat, I have seen many pictures of fish from that lake and all the fish have been absolute hogs.  We who only wander to Utah lakes can only dream about catching fish like that.  
Bob Hicks, from Utah
As a former Sacramento resident Pyramid was one of those lakes I got to frequent also. I've been back once since relocating to Utah. My older none digital pics are stashed somewhere with original negatives or slides which I would love to find and rekindle the good thoughts. It would be great to have some lakes here stocked with Lahonton Cutts. Wyoming has taken the step about 5yrs ago to stock a lot of their lakes with Eagle Lake rainbow trout with Flaming Gorge included.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(03-16-2020, 11:55 AM)dubob Wrote: Most humnle apologies folks.  My post above was meant to be posted in another thread.  I don't lnow who it got posted in this thread.  It's probably Trumps fault.   Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

And Pat, I have seen many pictures of fish from that lake and all the fish have been absolute hogs.  We who only wander to Utah lakes can only dream about catching fish like that.  
No apologies necessary for me.  I'd like to think this board is flexible enough to be able to offer non-fishing (computer) assistance when necessary and requested.  Been guilty of taking some left turns on other threads my own self so I can't cast aspersions (or throw rocks) at someone who steers a bit off track on one of my threads.  But getting left on the ramp?  That's another matter.

Hogs?  Yeah, about the best shot we have at string stretchers are macks, cats and carp here in Utah.   Oh yeah, maybe the northern pike and tiger muskies. There are some large specimens of bows, browns and cutts but very few and far between.  Since Pyramid has "come back" it is rare to catch any cutts that would fall into our slot range.  Can you imagine what Strawberry would be like if it kicked out big cutts like that?  By the way, GSP brought in one cutt last year that weighed 15.5 pounds.  Gotta be some bigger ones available.

(03-16-2020, 02:13 PM)Bduck Wrote: As a former Sacramento resident Pyramid was one of those lakes I got to frequent also. I've been back once since relocating to Utah. My older none digital pics are stashed somewhere with original negatives or slides which I would love to find and rekindle the good thoughts. It would be great to have some lakes here stocked with Lahonton Cutts. Wyoming has taken the step about 5yrs ago to stock a lot of their lakes with Eagle Lake rainbow trout with Flaming Gorge included.
Hey, if you have a scanner you should scan  your old pics and make them digital.  I have done that with a lot of my "prehistoric" film and slide pics.  If you don't have a scanner, most good photo outlets...and even Costco...can digitize them for you...onto a disc or flash drive.

Stock Lahontans in Utah?  Sacrilege.  No way DWR would remove or jeopardize our beloved "Bonnies" for out-of-state transplants.  Still nice to ponder though.  Right up there with having some flathead cats to play with.
(03-16-2020, 02:29 PM)TubeDude Wrote: But getting left on the ramp?  That's another matter.

I just KNEW you would not let that one alone.

[Image: voowPbZ.gif]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(03-16-2020, 04:59 PM)dubob Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 02:29 PM)TubeDude Wrote: But getting left on the ramp?  That's another matter.

Hey Bob,  Pat has been repeating that jibe for at least a year now that I've seen. Did you strand him somewhere.......did he deserve it.......? Big Grin
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(03-16-2020, 05:49 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 04:59 PM)dubob Wrote:

Hey Bob,  Pat has been repeating that jibe for at least a year now that I've seen. Did you strand him somewhere.......did he deserve it.......? Big Grin
Deserve it?  Nope.  And I have never gotten a good explanation.  On the ice at Starvation everybody else in the group had left for the fishing spot up by the bridge...over two miles away.  Bob was last to leave...with me as a passenger on his sled.  He was messing around with his gear so I backed up to take some pictures.  The attached picture is of him rocketing off without me...but with my gear and my gloves.  Had to walk almost all the way there before SOMEONE ELSE came back to give me a ride the rest of the way.
[Image: LEFT-ON-RAMP.jpg]
(03-16-2020, 06:15 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Deserve it?  Nope.  And I have never gotten a good explanation.  On the ice at Starvation everybody else in the group had left for the fishing spot up by the bridge...over two miles away.  Bob was last to leave...with me as a passenger on his sled.  He was messing around with his gear so I backed up to take some pictures.  The attached picture is of him rocketing off without me...but with my gear and my gloves.  Had to walk almost all the way there before SOMEONE ELSE came back to give me a ride the rest of the way.
[Image: LEFT-ON-RAMP.jpg]

Ahhh - CRS strikes again.  It was explained, the day it happened.  My snowmobile was running (creating background noise) at the time.  I have a hearing loss that requires the use of hearing aids which were not in attendance that day.  Pat said something to me and what I heard was this: " I have to go use the bathroom."  For sure that wasn't what he said.  But it is what I thought I heard.  Before I could answer, he turned and started walking away.  So I'm thinking that I can get out to the fishing spot and return while he's answering the call of Mother Nature.  I went straight to the fishing spot, dropped both sleds and IMMEDIATELY headed back to pick him up.  About 2/3 of the way back I meet another snowmobile heading towards the fishing spot with Pat in tow.  I turned around and followed them back to the fishing spot.  When we got to the fishing spot and came face to face, Pat was livid and let me have it with both barrels.  DAMN; he was MAD AS HELL.  I then apologized and explained that I thought he said he was going to the bathroom and that I thought I had enough time to drag our stuff out and come back to pick him up.  I'm serious, he was as mad as I've ever seen him or hope to see him.  He stayed mad over it for well over a year.

I did not intentionally leave him stranded at the launch site.  It was a communications misunderstanding.  I think we are past it.  I am for sure.  Pat is always welcome on my boat and I was happy to host him at last years Spring Flotilla on Utah Lake.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
All's well that ends.

We good.  Gotta go fishin' again.
(03-16-2020, 08:44 PM)TubeDude Wrote: All's well that ends.

I'll be getting the boat ready starting next week.  Maybe you and tube babe could join me and do a weekday trip to Jordanelle in April and try for some of those kokanee.  Should be turning on by then.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(03-16-2020, 09:59 PM)dubob Wrote:

I'll be getting the boat ready starting next week.  Maybe you and tube babe could join me and do a weekday trip to Jordanelle in April and try for some of those kokanee.  Should be turning on by then.
Love to.  How about "social distancing"?  Makes sense with some smelly fisherfolks.  Let's watch the reports and the weather.  Might be on Jordanelle quite a while before da Berry.
(03-16-2020, 10:31 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 09:59 PM)dubob Wrote:

Love to.  How about "social distancing"?  Makes sense with some smelly fisherfolks.  Let's watch the reports and the weather.  Might be on Jordanelle quite a while before da Berry.
Wow!  This thread went everywhere Smile .  Back on, thanks Curt!