Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport ice conditions?
Does anyone have a recent ice report for RP? We want to hit it one last time. If you know, do you think it will last till Saturday?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Craig this was posted on FB Tues night
[Image: 51339763-F84-E-46-EF-8160-46-C493037326.jpg]
(03-12-2020, 11:14 AM)2knots Wrote: Craig this was posted on FB Tues night
[Image: 51339763-F84-E-46-EF-8160-46-C493037326.jpg]

That ain't nothing g you cant jump across on the snowmobile. Or a ladder .
(03-12-2020, 05:11 PM)Icejunkie2 Wrote: That ain't nothing g you cant jump across on the snowmobile. Or a ladder .

I have a snowmobile and been there done that.  Ain't never doin' it again.  Coming OFF the ice in those conditions is a piece of cake.  Getting ON the ice can/will be a disaster in those conditions.  Cost me a JetSled XL to learn that lesson the hard way.  When the water gap is more than a foot wide, MY snowmobile stays in the trailer.  It's either wade on or use a plank/ladder.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I work next door to Rockport and as I was coming into work this evening the gap has widened and the ice is rotten. Not worth it.
east canyon and echo are the same way
It was fun while it lasted, time to start thinking about getting the Ol'Crestliner ready.
joatmon just went by and checked. Three guys were fishing by the dam. Looks like we'll at least go and give it a try tomorrow.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

EyLayo, joatmon, and I went to Rockport yesterday. With a little caution we were able to step right on the ice off the rocks of the dam and again out from the first restroom. We had good luck catching big fat rainbows at 12-15 feet but we were looking for perch and smallmouth. We tried from 8 to 60 feet. I got one feeble bite at the 60' depth. Don't want to guess how long it will last but the ice was pretty thick and while punky on top was solid at the bottom. I had luck with Atomic Teasers and waxworms. Had a bite every drop but broke several off.

Thanks for the invite. I was surprised with the quality of those bows. Next time we'll find some bottom dwellers. Not a bad way to end the season. Definitely need to change out your line before next year. Good luck chasing cats.