Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last ice fishing trip on the Berry?
The wife and I spent last Sunday on Strawberry for what may have been our last ice fishing of the season.  We have been going to our hot spot at Sage Creek that has been producing some pretty decent fishing totals the past couple of months.  This time did not disappoint again.  In our usual 42 ft of water we managed 21 fish with mostly all cutts with one rainbow and my first kokanee through the ice.  Most of the fish recently have been caught on Christensens tackle Neds grubs and these glow skirt jigs my wife liked from Walmart.  Most fish were caught 20 ft down to right under the ice.  A few on the bottom but those seemed to be smaller cutts and took alot more effort to catch.  Just a little update on the first season with the Snow Dog,  I'm hooked.  I use 3 sleds, one that I stand in with another sled that my wife sits in and another sled for the gear.  The dog gets us out on the ice and back without an issue.  Couldn't be more pleased.  As of ice conditions on Sunday.  No slush to speak of and still 12-14 in of ice under 4 in of snow.  The top layer of snow did get a little soft as the day warmed up.  Can't wait to get the boat on the soft water for some action.  Shooting for Deer Creek this Sunday.  Hope everyone is safe, happy, and healthy with all events going on lately.  I'll see if I'm able to get a few picks to post. [Image: IMG-20200315-084532.jpg] [Image: IMG-20200311-091521.jpg] [Image: IMG-20200318-134644.jpg]
Like this part 
Can't wait to get the boat on the soft water
and  these glow skirt jigs my wife liked

my wife bought a lure that I did not think would work  and it  still works good  sometimes
Great report and glad you got another good one... That was a fun trip when I joined you... I guess I'm switching seasons myself... great season on the hardwater... Thanks for the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-18-2020, 07:59 PM)knottyhookr Wrote: The wife and I spent last Sunday on Strawberry for what may have been our last ice fishing of the season.  We have been going to our hot spot at Sage Creek that has been producing some pretty decent fishing totals the past couple of months.  This time did not disappoint again.  In our usual 42 ft of water we managed 21 fish with mostly all cutts with one rainbow and my first kokanee through the ice.  Most of the fish recently have been caught on Christensens tackle Neds grubs and these glow skirt jigs my wife liked from Walmart.  Most fish were caught 20 ft down to right under the ice.  A few on the bottom but those seemed to be smaller cutts and took alot more effort to catch.  Just a little update on the first season with the Snow Dog,  I'm hooked.  I use 3 sleds, one that I stand in with another sled that my wife sits in and another sled for the gear.  The dog gets us out on the ice and back without an issue.  Couldn't be more pleased.  As of ice conditions on Sunday.  No slush to speak of and still 12-14 in of ice under 4 in of snow.  The top layer of snow did get a little soft as the day warmed up.  Can't wait to get the boat on the soft water for some action.  Shooting for Deer Creek this Sunday.  Hope everyone is safe, happy, and healthy with all events going on lately.  I'll see if I'm able to get a few picks to post. [Image: IMG-20200315-084532.jpg] [Image: IMG-20200311-091521.jpg] [Image: IMG-20200318-134644.jpg]
Congratulations on getting a Koke through the ice! I'm still waiting for my first winter koke. You said you fish near sage creek? Just wondering if you go across from the marina or down from the ladders and how long it takes you on the snow dog?
(03-18-2020, 09:08 PM)liketrolling Wrote: Like this part 
Can't wait to get the boat on the soft water
and  these glow skirt jigs my wife liked

my wife bought a lure that I did not think would work  and it  still works good  sometimes

Funny how sometimes the "pretty" lures end up catching fish.  This particular one probably produced the most fish this ice season.  Wierd!!
(03-19-2020, 04:47 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:
(03-18-2020, 07:59 PM)knottyhookr Wrote: The wife and I spent last Sunday on Strawberry for what may have been our last ice fishing of the season.  We have been going to our hot spot at Sage Creek that has been producing some pretty decent fishing totals the past couple of months.  This time did not disappoint again.  In our usual 42 ft of water we managed 21 fish with mostly all cutts with one rainbow and my first kokanee through the ice.  Most of the fish recently have been caught on Christensens tackle Neds grubs and these glow skirt jigs my wife liked from Walmart.  Most fish were caught 20 ft down to right under the ice.  A few on the bottom but those seemed to be smaller cutts and took alot more effort to catch.  Just a little update on the first season with the Snow Dog,  I'm hooked.  I use 3 sleds, one that I stand in with another sled that my wife sits in and another sled for the gear.  The dog gets us out on the ice and back without an issue.  Couldn't be more pleased.  As of ice conditions on Sunday.  No slush to speak of and still 12-14 in of ice under 4 in of snow.  The top layer of snow did get a little soft as the day warmed up.  Can't wait to get the boat on the soft water for some action.  Shooting for Deer Creek this Sunday.  Hope everyone is safe, happy, and healthy with all events going on lately.  I'll see if I'm able to get a few picks to post. [Image: IMG-20200315-084532.jpg] [Image: IMG-20200311-091521.jpg] [Image: IMG-20200318-134644.jpg]

Congratulations on getting a Koke through the ice! I'm still waiting for my first winter koke. You said you fish near sage creek? Just wondering if you go across from the marina or down from the ladders and how long it takes you on the snow dog?
If you look at google maps there is a pull out past the ladders that says view area - snowkite launch.  It is plenty big enough to get off the road even with say a snowmobile trailer and be safe.  In fact there has been times where I've seen 3-4 trucks and trailers there.  On Sunday the ability to get down from that spot is deteriorating.  There is a huge puddle you have to run through later in the day and the snow on the side of the mountain is getting thinner.  Starting to see bushes and dirt.  From there it only took me about 10 minutes or less to get to the "spot".