Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settlement Canyon
Any recommendations on fly's to use at this lake. I live close by but have'nt gotten many bites. I am really new to fly fishing and trying to get better at it. 

Tried:
Nyphms in many diffrent colors and sizes.
Zebra midge #12-#16
Flashback Pheasant tail #12
Scuds #12-#14
Leech patterns (every color)
Strike indicator get more action than the fly does most the time.

Of course the bait tanglers are catching them left and right. 

Thanks for any info. 

fnf Cool
I haven't fished there is several years but I used a sink-tip line with a size 12 bead head soft hackle fly with a black/copper body.  When I fished it the water was not very clear, about 4' visibility, so I used flies with either a bright colored bead head or some flash in the body or tail to get their attention.
If you don't have a sink-tip just use a floating line and add a small split shot a foot and a half or so from the fly.  Cast out, let it sink a bit and then strip it back in with fairly slow strips because of the cold water temperature.  The trick was to keep the fly moving and near the bottom.  Some of the fish would not hit until my line was almost into shore.  I'm sure most any size 10 or 12 fly with some flash in it should wake them up.  It's too bad they don't let you use a float tube there, then you could get away from the crowds.
Wink
Good luck.
(03-19-2020, 08:15 PM)gofish435 Wrote: I haven't fished there is several years but I used a sink-tip line with a size 12 bead head soft hackle fly with a black/copper body.  When I fished it the water was not very clear, about 4' visibility, so I used flies with either a bright colored bead head or some flash in the body or tail to get their attention.
If you don't have a sink-tip just use a floating line and add a small split shot a foot and a half or so from the fly.  Cast out, let it sink a bit and then strip it back in with fairly slow strips because of the cold water temperature.  The trick was to keep the fly moving and near the bottom.  Some of the fish would not hit until my line was almost into shore.  I'm sure most any size 10 or 12 fly with some flash in it should wake them up.  It's too bad they don't let you use a float tube there, then you could get away from the crowds.
Wink
Good luck.

Thanks for the info. It does suck that they don't allow float tubes. It would be great lake to fish in a float tub and sinking line. Might even catch a few of the bigger fish in there.