Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Beginner Flig Maker
Tried my hand at making some fligs.  Thanks TD for the literature.  They are far from the professionalism of TD but practice makes perferct, or maybe I should say PATIENCE makes perfect.  I used an airbrush to paint them since I already had all of the colors I needed, then put a gloss clear coat over the top.  We'll see how well they hold up. I may need to get real jig paint, but time well tell or TD will let me know. Huh [Image: 20200322-183642.jpg]
They look good.  Just remember to keep the paint and clear coat a little on the light side or your "FLoating JIGS (FLIGS)" won't float.  LOL.
(03-23-2020, 04:33 PM)garlars Wrote: Tried my hand at making some fligs.  Thanks TD for the literature.  They are far from the professionalism of TD but practice makes perferct, or maybe I should say PATIENCE makes perfect.  I used an airbrush to paint them since I already had all of the colors I needed, then put a gloss clear coat over the top.  We'll see how well they hold up. I may need to get real jig paint, but time well tell or TD will let me know. Huh [Image: 20200322-183642.jpg]
They look good enough to eat.  Hopefully the fishies will agree.  Now you will have to experiment with different rigging, sinkers, leader length, speed, wiggle, bait, etc.  The good news is that just being able to present your bait a bit off the bottom, with some attraction (color/flash) will usually get more attention.

As long as you put some kind of clear seal coat on them, they should be fine.  If you are fishing with bait...not plastics...there is not as much concern for the solvents in plastic baits attacking the paint.  I finish most of mine with UV Blast seal coat.  It makes a nice hard clear top coat and adds visibility to your fligs under some light conditions.

Your first batch looks a lot better than the first stuff I tried making.  But then I didn't have anyone helping me out either.  Virtually all of my sizes, shapes and color patterns have been developed through experimentation, trial and error.  Ultimately the fish will cast the final vote on how good (or bad) your trinkets turn out.

Good luck and let us know how you do with them.
They look good my friend can't wait to try these bad boys out on some Cats. Wrote:Tried my hand at making some fligs.  Thanks TD for the literature.  They are far from the professionalism of TD but practice makes perferct, or maybe I should say PATIENCE makes perfect.  I used an airbrush to paint them since I already had all of the colors I needed, then put a gloss clear coat over the top.  We'll see how well they hold up. I may need to get real jig paint, but time well tell or TD will let me know. Huh [Image: 20200322-183642.jpg]