Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March 25, 2020 - Lake Record Channel Catfish
Wayne weighed the big catfish at 18.45 pounds.

https://wayneswords.net/threads/march-25...fish.3797/
It's fun fishing at a place where you just never know what you might hook into when you get a hit.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
hey since im not a member of the waynes page can you post the pictures here, looks like a dandy fish!!!
Do you know how that compares with the state record catfish. Probably a new state record too. Interesting. Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I'm pretty sure the state record is around 31 or 32 pounds out of Utah Lake.
LeRoy Mortensen still holds the record channel cat for Utah. Him and his brother Glen taught me all I know about catfishing Utah Lake. I got to be on the Doug Miller outdoors big catfish show with them and the guy that has the catch and release record. RIP LeRoy and Glen my good friends.

LeRoy's fish: Utah state record. 32.8 lbs. 39 3/4" long. Girth: 22" .

I told Doug Miller this story and he wanted to put it on his show, so he asked me about it on the air while filming out at Bird Island.
Me and my friend decided to get into cat fishing the Bear River. This was around 1977 or 78. We fished every evening after work for many days. We used mostly minnows but tried worms and chicken liver and anything else we could think of. We fished up and down the river all the way to the salt water. And we never did anygood. Then a guy I worked with, Glen Mortensen, took me down to Utah Lake and out to Bird Island. And showed me shrimp and bobber fishing. It was so hot, you couldn't put your pole down or you would loose it. We filled up a stinger of catfish and then Glen lost the whole stinger when it slipped out of his hand. We just filled up another. And I haven't been back to the Bear River since.
I fell in love with Utah Lake that first trip to  Lincoln Beach. Glen and LeRoy both had identical red and gray 14 ft. Lunds. And would each go out and fish next to each other. They loved fishing the flats also and I was amazed at the fish we caught in 2 foot of water. And I still love fishing those shallows, maybe more than Bird Island. They camped at Lincoln Beach almost every weekend. They did fish for trout and walleye and loved Strawberry and Soldier Creek and Stavation. I swear they could catch fish in a mud hole in the road.      That is a nice cat out of Powell.
Fritzfishin  here is 3 of them    
[Image: Trophy-CCF.jpg] sarojini naidu famous poems [Image: 20200319-193121.jpg] [Image: 20200319-192039.jpg]
e
dit   how this that says famous poems got in I don't know
Wow that is a great fish. The record is 39" holy cow what a monster. I've got a long ways to go to catch a big fish. 
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
What is really interesting, is that Lake Powell produces such small Chanel Cats.

Why does Powell not produce fish in the 30 pound range on a regular basis?