Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off shore today!!
Jumped on my buddies boat this morning at 0700, hit up a dock and chummed up some bait, a few throws of the cast net and we were in business. 1st on the agenda was redfish on a low tide, we got there a little late and the tide was slack, we were throwing cut bait and nothing happening, threw on paddletails and fished them in the schos
of mullet, I think we caught 30 trout in about 20 minutes. Headed 13 miles off shore to fish kingfish, got to the spot and it was on, dropping live bait back as the trolling motor held us in place, we got 4 kings and a few Bonita, I hooked about a 6' black tip shark that did some serious airborne acrobatics before straightening my hook. We did have about a 12' tiger shark under the boat chasing the fish we hooked.

ran back in shore to fish redfish again on a better tide, I ended up catching a 36" snook and then we both ended up with a bunch of reds and a few more trout, great day on the water and epic fishing. Hot today at around 90* I see you got some snow in Salt Lake ? [Image: 391-B1-FCC-ACBD-43-B8-96-DA-02487-C35-EECC.jpg] [Image: 7-B8-F92-CB-C3-DA-4405-93-FC-6-FD52-E793809.jpg] [Image: AF7118-FB-2-DC7-43-CA-8-F3-A-5-FD919-FF90-DB.jpg] [Image: 654-DB5-F5-7-E19-4035-BB26-4-E83-F9-C88-E4-F.jpg] [Image: BE4-CE68-E-BEF9-4191-9-CE6-B1529-C429-FCD.jpg] [Image: 948-A2346-42-D5-42-BF-9-FDF-86-EDDA06762-B.jpg] [Image: FC7-B46-FD-F6-E6-4530-8163-AE4251-B5076-B.jpg] [Image: ED446-FC2-C0-ED-493-F-A94-B-766-FC30-E4-EB2.jpg]  , anyways stay safe all and keep your distance ?
Nice "Nookie!"  What about the Kings?  No, not those, but the Silver ones?
Tarponjim pid= Wrote:Nice "Nookie!"  What about the Kings?  No, not those, but the Silver ones?

Haven't seen any tarpon yet, anytime now I'm sure.

My buddy is a charter captain and had the day off so he took me out for some fun fishing ??
Love the variety in the saltwater.
Are you going to smoke any of that Kingfish. It's give smoked salmon a run for it's money. Freshly caught king fish is also pretty good grilled.
So I recognize the sea Trout, snook and the red, but the rest I've never had the pleasure of catching unless the one is a barracuda. Which is which in the other pictures. Looks like an incredible day. Thanks for remembering us and posting. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-28-2020, 02:50 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So I recognize the sea Trout, snook and the red, but the rest I've never had the pleasure of catching unless the one is a barracuda. Which is which in the other pictures. Looks like an incredible day. Thanks for remembering us and posting. Later Jeff

King Fish are also called King Mackerel- so they are the skinny looking mackerel. Bonito are a type of Tuna or at least closely related -the rounder shiny iridescent fish. They are blood red like Tuna if cut up for bait and if desperate are reasonable edible.
Yup, joe nailed it...kingfish...king mackerel, toothy but not like a cuda...although you have to use wire leader and I would not want to get bitten. Bonito are related to tuna without the taste, but fun to catch as they will pull a hundred yards of line in a heartbeat and fight like hell, I would love to get them on the flyrod. And the you know the rest, those big snook are a great fight!!

Joe_Hill pid= Wrote:Are you going to smoke any of that Kingfish. It's give smoked salmon a run for it's money. Freshly caught king fish is also pretty good grilled.

Joe,

my buddy will smoke them up...tasty. I am not a meat fisherman as I am usually catch and release but he wanted some and he was giving some to the guy at the marina.
Thanks guys, now the mackerel I've caught are tiny compared to those and I thought they used them as bait out of San Diego. Guess I need more time on the big waters with someone that tells me what we're catching. Thanks for the help there. Love that pattern on the bonitos shoulders. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!