Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry- again
Took the kids up, since the wife is now working weekends, and they were driving me insane all week stuck in the house. It was a great trip, although I'm clearly not experienced in dealing with midgets who end up with wet feet 30 seconds after stepping out of the truck on dry asphalt. It was a good reminder about how much she does to keep things copacetic.
Snow on the way up and when we headed out from our usual spot, but cleared and turned very very nice with a good mix of sun and clouds.
I expected a lot of snow compared to last weekend, but it all looked the same. There was about 2" of new snow on the ice.... No slush. There is a clear edge and it is soft in places. No issues getting the sled on and off, but I definitely could see there will soon be a gap in the places getting more sun exposure and traffic.
By the time I got the tent, heater, chairs, stuffed animales, and finally- poles set up..... it was time to get peanut butter sandwiches.
Fishing was slower than usual, but I was hardly fishing. The kids did good and actually caught fish on their own, without any assistance, or reminders to jig their poles. But, a new reminder was added to the other's- Don't put your pole down on the chair directly over the hole you're fishing in and walk away. My pole box is short a pole, but at least it was a pink one.
Speaking of pink, it was the color which produced the most for us. It is usually always, green, so I was kind of surprised. Still had to use smaller lures and plastics tipped with wax worms. Wax worms were definitely the winners this week. The bite was still very light and they were very very picky.
Fished in 35-42 FOW. Ice is still thick with 12-14" under a very thick crusty top. Most fish were graphed and caught at 20' and below. More towards the bottom as the day went on. A couple were caught within the top 10'.
Most of the fish caught were 13-14" planters although we caught quite a few in the 18" range.
As the fishing slowed around 1300, we built some snowmen and took the snowmobile out for rides across the lake and up some of the hills. I decided to pack up around 1430, and was glad I did, because it started snowing again as we left.
It was a very fun day, and I think we might try once more depending on how the week goes.
I started packing masks and stuff for the kids, in case they need to stop and use the bathroom somewhere. I was lucky to have ordered some before everything went nuts.
Good to see someone's still getting on the ice or out period with everything going on. Sounds like a great day out for everyone. Thanks for the report
Sounds like a good outing.  Did you park at Strawberry Bay Marina?
(03-30-2020, 06:24 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Sounds like a good outing.  Did you park at Strawberry Bay Marina?
Chicken East