Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Lake Trout
I have fished Bear Lake for the last 3 weekend and done well but all cutts and no lake trout. Courious if the east or the west side produce more lake trout? Have been fishing just the west side.
The cutthroat spawn on the west side this time of year
(03-30-2020, 11:42 PM)pizzaman_288 Wrote: The cutthroat spawn on the west side this time of year
Yes I knew that. Was just curious cause we run down riggers on the bottom and stackers so we are fishing different levels of water but only picking up cutts??? Was just curious if one side was any better for Macks then the other.
Quote:Yes I knew that. Was just curious cause we run down riggers on the bottom and stackers so we are fishing different levels of water but only picking up cutts??? Was just curious if one side was any better for Macks then the other.

The macks are all over the lake but they just don't stock as many as they use to and only Idaho stocks them now. There are just so many more cutts in the lake than Macks now that you have much better chance of catching cutts. If you haven't fished the East side give it a try, you never know, maybe you will find some macks there now, since most of the cutts are spawning soon on the West side.
Maybe try a diffrent technique then trolling. Try jigging with large tube jigs tipped with sucker or chub meat or cisco if your lucky enough to have some. You will still catch cutts this way but I think you will catch plenty of lakers as well. Use your sonar and find fish stacked up on some type of structure or fish steep drop off's. Most times you won't see fish on drop offs depending on how you come in on it. You are more likely to see the fish coming in from the deep side. Mark them on the gps and drop the jigs down to the bottom. 

If there anything like the gorge macs then you will see them rush up from the bottom to intercept the falling jig. Let it fall to the bottom and then hold it just off the bottom dead sticked. Wait for a tick in your line and set the hook.