Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What has been the biggest change in fishing
Over the last few year, compared to 5 years before? Either while soft water or hard water fish.
There are many new things that come to mind for me, over the course of the last 5 to 10 years.
For me the huge increase in fish finder tech has been simply amazing but along with that is also elect trolling motor tech.
In ice fishing the tungsten jigs and fluorocarbon line has been a game changer.
There are many other things I could mention like underwater cameras and scented baits but what do you think, what are some of your favorites?
Note sure that those are all that new, just perhaps new to you.  Tungsten jigs have been around for a long time; people just started to spread the hype.  Fluorocarbon line has also been around far longer then 5 years.  It still is too stiff, too much memory, too expensive, but the hype is catching on.

My first underwater camera is at least 15 years old.  It may have been better and far less expensive then what we get now.

Fish finder tech?  Well, you have me on that one.  They are getting crazy good now.
For me it's the castable sonar. I am fascinated by these little portable units that fit in a pocket. Not new, necessarily, but to me they are. I am excited to try mine in a lot of applications this year like a float tybe in the Uintas or checking structure in a river hole
More mobile apps that interact with these gadgets.
Pretty hard to argue with the side finding technologies as they have developed to the point that you can pin point where fish are to the side of you and cover wide areas at a time, now you can find where those schools of Kokes and wiper are hanging out, without having to be lucky and cross on top of them... the gps and all that goes with the finders including the electric motors that will trace the edge of the drop offs, spot lock and the underwater mapping software, that lets you know where the underwater features are... Pretty neat stuff we have available to us... funny how I can still get skunked... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-01-2020, 07:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Over the last few year, compared to 5 years before? Either while soft water or hard water fish.
There are many new things that come to mind for me, over the course of the last 5 to 10 years.
For me the huge increase in fish finder tech has been simply amazing but along with that is also elect trolling motor tech.
There are many other things I could mention like underwater cameras and scented baits but what do you think, what are some of your favorites?
For ice fishing it'd have to be battery powered augers...smartest investment I've ever made...well, and maybe the portable, 'easy up/easy down' ice shelters also....
(04-01-2020, 07:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Over the last few year, compared to 5 years before? Either while soft water or hard water fish.
All of the new technology is great.  Now if only the fishing on all my formerly fave spots was better...or even as good as it used to was.  All the waters I used to count on for good fishing are now only a shadow of their former glory...or completely gone by comparison.  About the only fishery that consistently still treats me well is Utah Lake...and then mostly for catfish.  Everything else sucks compared to former times.  But under the current restrictions I don't have to subject myself to the abuse of many spots.  Cain't fish 'em anyways.  Oh well...always the Jordan River.

Spending more...in time and money...and getting less.
For me it's the white tube jig.   I know that it's been around for years, but learning to master it has been a great education.   The more I master it the more fish come to the boat.   At places like the berry  20 to 80 fish a day on a tube is common.   Even a few 100 plus days like Kent Rolleyes Rolleyes .
(04-02-2020, 02:39 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: Note sure that those are all that new, just perhaps new to you.  Tungsten jigs have been around for a long time; people just started to spread the hype.  Fluorocarbon line has also been around far longer then 5 years.  It still is too stiff, too much memory, too expensive, but the hype is catching on.

My first underwater camera is at least 15 years old.  It may have been better and far less expensive then what we get now.

Fish finder tech?  Well, you have me on that one.  They are getting crazy good now.

I only heard about the tungsten jigs a few year back but what about the new to me 3 lb Trilene flurocarbon ice? IMO this thin diameter line is very limp but you are right, it's expensive.
The older underwater camera were not as good as the new ones.
Quote:For ice fishing it'd have to be battery powered augers...smartest investment I've ever made...well, and maybe the portable, 'easy up/easy down' ice shelters also....

For some reason I forgot about that, I'll have to change my list to say the same thing battery powered augers for ive fishing are at the top my list too.
(04-02-2020, 07:24 PM)cdbrc1 Wrote: For me it's the white tube jig.   I know that it's been around for years, but learning to master it has been a great education.   The more I master it the more fish come to the boat.   At places like the berry  20 to 80 fish a day on a tube is common.   Even a few 100 plus days like Kent Rolleyes Rolleyes .

I have to agree.  If I could only use one lure, for many bodies of water, it would be the white tube jig.