Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fun Friday at Covid City 4-10-20
Last night the forecast had mellowed to show decent prospects for tubing on Utah Lake.  So I hit the Knolls this morning.  Along with a whole bunch of other quarantine escapees.  Looked like "Covid City".  And thanks to our littering friends there was plenty of evidence of "Corona Virus".  See the pics.

Launched on glassy water about 7:30.  Water level was right up to the tip top.  Air temp 38 and water temp 52 at launch, warming to 55 at noon departure.  Some turbidity from recent winds but not bad.

Took LHBE minnows, frozen white bass and frozen carp meat.  Tried dragging a minnow on one rod and baiting a flig with white bass or carp meat on the other.  For about the first time I can remember, I caught nothing on minnow alone.  Got several cats on fligs with both the carp and white bass sweetener.  Also picked up a few stray white bass tossing plastics near shore.  With the water temps rising the whities will be congregating soon.

Started fishing where I left off at Lindon on Tuesday...about 5-6 feet of water.  Nothing on sonar and even less on my rods.  Kept moving deeper until about an hour after I started I caught my first 20-something cat in almost 9 feet of water.  Then it was a long time until I moved shallower with the warming water and got into a few more cats.  But it was slow.  About 11ish I started moving back toward my car...fishing as I went.  As I was getting close to my take out spot I dumped my remaining bait over the side and was preparing to bring in the rods and scoot to shore. 

That was when my rod with the Smiley flig and a big chunk of carp meat went bendo...and line screamed off the drag of the closed bail spinning rig.  I could tell straight away 'twern't no cookie cutter.  Played give and take with the line and spun my tube around a few times before the fish got an insane desire to crawl in my net and join me in my tube for some pictures.  I was happy to see it stretched out to 28".  Finally, one to put on the board.

[Image: HIGH-TIDE.jpg] [Image: COVID-CITY.jpg] [Image: CORONA-VIRUS.jpg] [Image: SMALLEST.jpg] [Image: WELL-FED.jpg] [Image: BENDO.jpg] [Image: BIGGUN-CLOSE.jpg] [Image: 28-IN-CONTEST-FISH.jpg]
glad you got into them some. Im planning on the knolls tuesday for sure.
Good to see the knolls kicking out a few fish. I havent fished there since they closed it up a few years back. Used to like wading there for white bass. Caught a few walleye there too.
(04-10-2020, 09:08 PM)lee! Wrote: glad you got into them some. Im planning on the knolls tuesday for sure.
Tuesday doesn't look good to me.  After two days of cold temps and wind the fish will likely be hiding.

(04-10-2020, 09:54 PM)fish_fear_me2 Wrote: Good to see the knolls kicking out a few fish. I havent fished there since they closed it up a few years back. Used to like wading there for white bass. Caught a few walleye there too.
There are a few areas where wading for whities might be good this year.  But there are a lot of new small trees growing up around the edges.  That will make it good for the fish but not so much for the fishermen.
[Image: BRUSHY.jpg]
At least ya got a good one. Well done. I was there a couple days ago and couldn't find any hungry cats. Marked a few but only managed a couple.

Was glad i went in my boat... not sure i could have found enough room to launch my kayak. Lots of campers and others that appear to be living there. Starting to look like the only outlet for folks advised to stay home and only any travel in-county is to go fishing. The waters are going to be crowded this year as we try to beat the C-19 thing. I hope everyone can fish and stay safe.
Nice job on the cats Pat to bad the eyes are still decieving you Big Grin  maybe next time.

Through my fame and fortune through work and a CDL drivers licence, test drove around LB, could have swore I seen a 17ft tracker leaving behind a white chevy, BLK. anyway I stopped on my way back and talked to the DNR officer sitting there making sure everyone plays nice, he told me there will be someone there all weekend looking for Rif Raf, I said he better get there early to catch me, He told me there should be a DNR personel at all launches this weekend, they are keeping the peace, mostly looking for any boats that have come from Lake Powel from april 1-6, its on the DNR web page https://wildlife.utah.gov/ any boat that did has a 30 day launch waiting period,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(04-11-2020, 12:12 AM)MSM1970 Wrote: Nice job on the cats Pat to bad the eyes are still decieving you Big Grin  maybe next time.

Yeah, I really lust after those elusive toothy critters.  But I have never really been a big fan of fishing them during the spawn.  And with a float tube my options are limited.  If they don't show up in a spot I can reach easily, I go eye-less.  But I usually bag a few during the post-spawn period in May and June.  They tend to cruise around the whole lake more and are actively feeding.  I'll take 'em when I can.  I ain't proud.
I know what you mean, I ddo a lot of fishing with out fish, but when it comes all together it sure is a great day, alway in persuit of one more. even this morning.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Great fish Pat, glad you had fun with that singing reel and all. Thanks for the report. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Nice looking kitties Pat and that big one looks like it might have given you some good tugs.
(04-11-2020, 09:30 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice looking kitties Pat and that big one looks like it might have given you some good tugs.

Yeah, baby.  When the rod bent over and line started peeling off the drag I suspected it might have some spunk.  Best fight I have had from a cat for quite awhile...and with the water only 55.  Probably couldn't have handled it in midsummer water temps.  At least two or three trips around in the tube before I even got to see it.

By the way, I plan to try some of my big Smile blade fligs at Willard this year.  There are some bigger cats in there these days and a bigger profile might appeal to them.  Maybe wipers too.  Who knows?  Here's a pic of the Smiley Flig that bad boy hit.

[Image: KITTY-ON-SMILEY.jpg]
Thats awesome Pat. Sure tickeled I have some of those. Im still planning on the Knolls Tuesday. Be nice to catch some but this trip is mainly about making adjustments to the tube set up if they are needed. We shall see.