Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster Weber River Brown
Photo 
Okay, okay that title might of been, I think the new age term is, "clickbait".

My bride works at the MC historical society. Doing a bit of filing of historical news paper articles and she came across this photo. I have not seen one like it and I grew up on the Weber. Best I have done was about six pounds and when I caugh it I was sure my middle names was "Bill Dance"

[Image: 20200408-121925.jpg]
Ok lets do this!  Here we have a hystorical document of big fish caught in the state.  What other documents like this can we find?  I remember seeing pictures of monster cutts being caught in ogden canyon.   Id love to see if anyone has such documentation of these fish and also other from around the state.  Some of our favorite fishing holes are closed so lets fish for fishing documents of big hystorical fish!
Here's a photo of a Logan River (first dam) brown trout that was caught in August 1939.  It was not a legal catch and as a result it did not qualify for listing in any record books.  It weighed 36 lbs. 12 oz.  As far as I know after 81 years it remains the largest brown trout known, legally caught or otherwise, from not only Utah but from anywhere in the western United States.  Other fish have come close, mainly from Flaming Gorge in the 1970's (legal catches and gill netting surveys) but none have been this large.  If you've saved your old Field and Stream magazines check out the April 1972 edition and you'll find a detailed article pertaining to this fish.  Photo credit: The Herald Journal, Logan, Utah.

Quote:[Image: Logan-River-Brown.jpg] 
Well done! Thats a great fish! I was listening to a pod cast this morning on the history of fish in the colombia river system.  REally cool info about how many fish where there way back when.  How they where caught, and what they where used for.  Wish we had those numbers today! Same issues today about educationg the public about best fish managment.  Still love to hear anymore documented fishing stories of utahs past!