Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery charging
I have two batteries on my boat that need to be charged after a day of fishing. I have a smart charger that has 2 amp, 10 amp, 25 amp and Auto settings. I usually set it on 10 amps, but have used 25 amps when I have a short charging time frame. I'm also experimenting with topping the charge off at 2 amps. Tell me if I am doing it right or how to best do it. The more I read on the internet the more Confused I get.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

If you are intrested I have an on board two bank charger that I don't need. We can work out a good price to get it out of the garage.

After looking at it I noticed that it's only 5 amps per bank so it could take awhile to charge if the batteries are drained.
[Image: IMG-20190806-123011233.jpg]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(04-09-2020, 05:09 PM)catchinon Wrote: I have two batteries on my boat that need to be charged after a day of fishing. I have a smart charger that has 2 amp, 10 amp, 25 amp and Auto settings. I usually set it on 10 amps, but have used 25 amps when I have a short charging time frame. I'm also experimenting with topping the charge off at 2 amps. Tell me if I am doing it right or how to best do it. The more I read on the internet the more Confused I get.
Craig, it really depends on how fast you need the battery charged, if you are not going out for another week the 2 amp is fine IMO. If you need it faster then use the 10 amp setting, I would never use the 25 apm setting unless you are cranking the motor to get it to start, when the battery is dead, that can over charge a battery pretty quick. IMO the auto setting is your best bet. My on board charger usually charges my two 12v batteries overnight, then the next time I go out, if it's a week or more later, I'll put the charger on overnight and top off the batteries.