Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ugliest Fish in Utah?
A little Malad River Report...

Cookie and I went up to one of the WIA areas to check it out since the options are limited for us to chase big cats right now. 

Had a few hits and lots of bait stolen. So we dropped way down in hook size and started to catch what Cookie calls "The Ugliest Fish in Utah" - the Utah Sucker

They were a hoot and made up for the missing Cats. I know the Cats are there but they did not want to  play today. Only had a few minutes to try as the strom came in fast. Its a fun place to explore - we will go back and try again.

Rig was a #4 hook on a slip rig with a small pice of worm. Had to get them on suttle bites as they picked up or they just spit it back out. Real snaggy area.

Short little video of the trip

https://youtu.be/hSCUsG9h8-A

[Image: 20200411-130629.jpg]
I work close to the Malad river and like to take my lunch breaks drowning worms. I call it my bait supplier, as I use the carp, suckers, and even a sculpin as bait on my other fishing trips. I prefer the suckers and have used them almost everywhere I go. Every ice trip, you can bet I have at least 1 pole tipped with sucker. Perch, crappie,
bluegills and every other species of fish that eats other fish seem to like that bait. As for the bigger cats on the Malad, I know they are there because I have seen some pictures of some great fish. But I haven't caught any over 25" yet.
(04-12-2020, 01:18 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I work close to the Malad river and like to take my lunch breaks drowning worms. I call it my bait supplier, as I use the carp, suckers, and even a sculpin as bait on my other fishing trips. I prefer the suckers and have used them almost everywhere I go. Every ice trip, you can bet I have at least 1 pole tipped with sucker. Perch, crappie,
bluegills and every other species of fish that eats other fish seem to like that bait. As for the bigger cats on the Malad, I know they are there because I have seen some pictures of some great fish. But I haven't caught any over 25" yet.

I hope we run into you out there this spring. Its been a fun place to explore. We did find a big, whitewash cat jaw, out there a couple weeks ago, so there must be a few of them still hiding. I hope the BR turns on soon or we will have to charge over the Mt and invade Jeff's secert spots.
I hope they turn on as well. I'm sure we'll run into each other some time. As for invading Jeff's turf, it looks like Ahi got fed up with the slow fishing on the lower Bear and already slipped over to give it a try. I must admit that it has crossed my mind a time or two recently. I'm just not familiar enough with Cutler to feel very confident. I might have to take the boat up sometime and give it a try when it warms up a bit more. So many places, so little time to try.
(04-12-2020, 03:34 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I hope they turn on as well. I'm sure we'll run into each other some time. As for invading Jeff's turf, it looks like Ahi got fed up with the slow fishing on the lower Bear and already slipped over to give it a try. I must admit that it has crossed my mind a time or two recently. I'm just not familiar enough with Cutler to feel very confident. I might have to take the boat up sometime and give it a try when it warms up a bit more. So many places, so little time to try.

Paul,  If you put a boat in at Benson, keep a wary eye on the depth. Most of the area of the Benson ramp is only 2 to 5 feet deep. There are some deeper spots north and east in the main river channel, but the bottom comes up fast and unexpected in places. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
They are indeed ugly (although carp will give a sucker a run for its money in the ugly category), but they make prime bait.
Forest, if I did put in I would probably put in down next to Cache jct/Newton bridge ramp. Deeper there and then fish the edges.
(04-12-2020, 04:56 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Forest, if I did put in I would probably put in down next to Cache jct/Newton bridge ramp. Deeper there and then fish the edges.

Ever use the Ballard Bridge ramp ?  You can go up or down river quite a ways.  Caught a few nice Walleye up river a ways. Mid channel usually good depth, need to watch for fallen and partially submerged trees and floating logs in places.

[Image: 02-Upper-Bear-River-Access.jpg] [Image: 06-2nd-Bend-upriver.jpg] [Image: 010-1015-Walleye.jpg] [Image: 07-2nd-Bend-up-river.jpg] [Image: 016-0900-Walleye-2-July-14.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I'm not familiar with that ramp.