Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my first kayak!
hey guys i just got a kayak since last year it proved i cant own a boat.... if anyone finds a 15hp johnson east of the knolls feel free to keep it.... anyways what are some modifications i should to to it if any, #1 use will be cats at utah lake and since im moving to grantsville possibly trying to jig up some smallmouth... anyways let me know some tips and pointers! moving has caused a dely on my cat contest points but hopefully i make up for that this coming weekend! its a 11 foot emotion stealth if that helps with anything, i was thinking a extra rod holder and building a milk crate storage container plus a few rod holders on that, would like 2 cat rods plus my 4' ultra light to throw for some whitties if need be.
#1 rule with a kayak: tether everything. Sooner or later (and usually sooner until you learn to balance) it's going over. Or you'll nudge it overboard. You will also learn to never risk the weather; wind and waves are not your friend.

You'll love your kayak. Dead silent movement with more range than a tube/toon.
Welcome to the yak club Big Grin . I'm running an emotion stealth angler as well. I've built a milk crate rod holder with a couple DIY fly rod holders on one side and the standard 3 rod crate kit you can pick up from just about anywhere. I have tethers for just about everything on my yak. Have fun and best of luck this season.

[Image: IMG-2632.jpg] [Image: IMG-2634.jpg]
awesome set up you have! do you use a stadium seat instead of the factory foam seat it comes with? and thanks for the teathering everyting down reccomendation i probably will go over a few times im sureĀ  Big Grin , do you also prefer a anchor or the anchor pole style?
Thanks, mine has a folding stadium style seat which has been great. I haven't tried the anchor pole, but I did install an anchor trolley for this season. I use a dive reel for my anchor line, I tested it out a few weeks ago and it works but have to pull in the anchor and then wind up the line. Not enough leverage.

[Image: 1-B031-C63-852-F-4764-9-F7-F-DEBF5-B2-D4025.jpg]
Anchor trolleys are great because they allow you to "tie" your anchor rope to the front or back of the kayak, as needed, without scrambling out of your seat. You never want to tie to the center of the kayak, or the wind/current can tip you over. I use a simple electrical cord winder for my rope.

[Image: m9Kuyurl.jpg]
Congrats. I would consider an accessory track for pole holders and fish finder. I also have scupper plugs to keep out the water one one of my kayaks.