Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the Bear Saturday
Didn't get the chance Saturday or Sunday to post my report from the Bear River Bird Refuge.  Thought TCM was gonna go with me, but she woke up with a headache and decided not to. I pulled off the freeway on the Refuge road (Forest Street) about 0755, air temp was 42, sunny, with high clouds and a pretty steady breeze at about 5-8 mph, gusting up to 10-15 at times. Boat ramp just before the gate into the Auto Tour area, water level was not what I would like for launching, but enough. Had to put the trailer way down into the mud to keep the motor up off the bottom and still trim it low enough to draw water.  
Water depth out from the ramp in middle of channel was 7-8 ft.  Water surface temp was 54, which was a bit surprising, expected colder.  Talked to John at the ramp for a few minutes. 
Wanted to do a depth recon up river at least as far as the Hunt Club. But running up river in the middle, following my GPS tracks from last year, I got about 300 yards past the first bend and the bottom started coming up fast. Trimed up motor as far as I could, slowed way down, zig, zagged about 10 yards back and forth and never got to any depth more than 2 ft. When I started hitting 1 fow, I decided retreat was better than planting my new motor prop in the mud, so backed up, did a 180 and headed back towards the ramp. 
Several of the irrigation gates up river were open, channeling water out into the pastures. Once those close down some the water level further down river might come back up. 

I anchored out just up river from the ramp at the first north bank irrigation channel and set out my lines. One small bait hook with a worm hoping for a carp, and one larger rig with chicken liver in a bait bag.   NADA. 
Moved down river  and stopped in a couple more spots, lots more NADA. 
Made last stop down at the last south side irrigation gate just before the bridges. Had a couple of very light taps maybe on my worm rig, but no takers. 

Wind started getting more constant strong, and some darker clouds moving in from the west, decided to call it a day. 
On the way out, noticed that almost every spot accessible to the water was occupied with bank tanglers. I sure hope some of them had better luck than I did, but I kinda doubt it.  Oh yea, I did catch a tangle of line, swivels, beads, and a rusted hook...........Sick

Well it was a half day out of the house, and not at work, so it was a good day. 

[Image: 017-11-April-2020.jpg] [Image: 018.jpg] [Image: 021.jpg] [Image: 024.jpg] [Image: 022.jpg] [Image: 023.jpg] [Image: 026.jpg] [Image: 027.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Too bad on the catching. The Bear sure isn't giving up anything right now. Should be giving up something, but I'm getting no love at any of my usual spots.
It is funny that some of my customers talk about the monster 8 to 10 pound catfish they are catching, but I have neigher seen a decent fish caught, saw a picture, or had a good tug from one there this year. 

I still think the water on the Bear is a bit cold for my style.  It is early still, plenty of time to put points on the board, or so I'm told. 
(04-14-2020, 03:25 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: It is funny that some of my customers talk about the monster 8 to 10 pound catfish they are catching, but I have neigher seen a decent fish caught, saw a picture, or had a good tug from one there this year. 

I still think the water on the Bear is a bit cold for my style.  It is early still, plenty of time to put points on the board, or so I'm told. 
Yep, a bit early and still a little cold. I'm not complaining (not too much Sick ).
Last year I didn't get a Cat on  the contest board until the LB Flotilla in May. But soon as it warms up for a good week straight, will try to make a fast trip to somewhere on UL. Probably AFBH, or Lindon to begin with. Usually get a good catch of white bass at both of those areas to use for bait.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool