Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee setup with inline planer boards?
What setups have you found that work well while using online planner boards? Do you use snap weights or inline weights or what lures work for you that dive? Do you flashers in front of your lures when using them in this setup?
I don't use flashers very often, I use dodgers.

this is what I do, use the same setup you use on your down rigger
about two feet in front or the dodger I add weights there is a lot of ways to put a weight on your line they all work you can use split shots if you want I just add if I dont catch fish will add more are take off.  then let 50  feet out. (some guys let out 100 feet ) but 50 feet works for me, then hook the the planer board on and let out another 50 feet.    so what works for me may not word for you.
also I leave my board out all the time use another fishing pole  that holds the planer board out then put this realse on and let it slid down the line to the board
[Image: mini-power-grip-planer-board-snap-release.jpg]
I have a chart that tells you how much weight to add to get it down so many feet, but don't ues  it, I seem to do OK
(04-19-2020, 12:37 AM)liketrolling Wrote: I don't use flashers very often, I use dodgers.

this is what I do, use the same setup you use on your down rigger
about two feet in front or the dodger I add weights there is a lot of ways to put a weight on your line they all work you can use split shots if you want I just add if I dont catch fish will add more are take off.  then let 50  feet out. (some guys let out 100 feet ) but 50 feet works for me, then hook the the planer board on and let out another 50 feet.    so what works for me may not word for you.
also I leave my board out all the time use another fishing pole  that holds the planer board out then put this realse on and let it slid down the line to the board
[Image: mini-power-grip-planer-board-snap-release.jpg]
I have a chart that tells you how much weight to add to get it down so many feet, but don't ues  it, I seem to do OK

Great response as usual Robert.
Sunrise on the water
Thanks liketrolling. Can you say where you got the chart. I found some great Trolling Weight clips and lead weights at XTackle.
Quote:"muirco" pid='1098158' dateline='1587252656'
What setups have you found that work well while using online planner boards? Do you use snap weights or inline weights or what lures work for you that dive? Do you flashers in front of your lures when using them in this setup?

One of the very best methods to get deep off planer boards is the Dipsy Diver (Luhr-Jensen).  They come with a depth chart and are easy to set.  They can also be used on downrigger stacked lines to move the top line/lure down and out/in to set the top line away from the bottom line to reduce tangles after a strike.  When you get a strike, there is a release mechanism on the diver that allows the diver to pull in line with the fishing line and reducing the amount of drag experienced while actually fighting a fish.  Attached line weights will NOT do this; they will always have the same amount of additional drag.  One of the cons to Dipsy Divers is the amount of setback you can use.

The Dipsy Diver attaches to your fishing line.  Then you attach your lure to the trailing clip on the diver.  When you bring the fish in to the boat, the Dipsy Diver will stop at your rod tip and any line behind the Dipsy Diver can not be brought any closer to the boat.  So you will need to configure so that the line behind the Dipsy Diver will bring the fish close enough to the boat to net using the rod to control the location of the fish in relationship to the boat.

There is a small learning curve to become proficient in their use.  But they are worth the effort.  On Lake Michigan, you would be very hard pressed to find a boat on the water that didn't have a good collection of Dipsy Divers.  I have seen Charter Boats running 8 to 10 rods off the boat and at least half of those were pulling Dipsy Divers.  Those boats run downriggers, planer boards, and outriggers all at the same time.  I'm not sure why they aren't more popular here.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
here is the chart I had to get it out of my boat. I can't find the link of where I found it but a guy had a book on this also I found a youtube video
of a diver that was watching lures going by checking this out. [Image: fishing-depth-chart-300.jpg]
what Bob said about  Dipsy Divers  they work I don't own one but a guy I took fishing one time brought one and we used it and it worked good we new how deep the kokes were. he set it and it did good.
I love using my Church planer boards off the sides, with DR's off back...I don't have time or space to try any 'special' planer hook-ups, so just use it as it comes, connected directly to my fishing line...My average is 65' out, then click on board, then another 65' out...My lure depth is usually controlled by in-line bullet weights, from 1/2 oz (about 6 to 9 ft), to 2.5 oz (about 20 ft)...speed also affects the depth...I've also successfully deployed #20,30, and 40 Jet Divers off planer board, but would rather not mess with them...I also use a dodger infront of lure, or sometimes just a 6" or 12" set of home-made larger spin blades as the attractant...Generally speaking, your planers aren't meant to get you as deep as your DR's, so you don't have to worry about those lures/dodgers having all the glow paints that you'd like on your DR sets....that's why using Rapalla style lures work so well for me off my planer boards....Rainbows, cutts, and even kokes...Guluk...
(04-18-2020, 11:30 PM)muirco Wrote: What setups have you found that work well while using online planner boards? Do you use snap weights or inline weights or what lures work for you that dive? Do you flashers in front of your lures when using them in this setup?

I like the jet divers behind my planer boards with a sling blade and squid tipped with your favorite type of bait on the hooks a piece of worm, gulp magots or similar. I have had times when my planer boards outfished my down riggers and other times when the opposite was what they wanted. So many variables when fishing kokes, color, speed, too much boat activity etc. I like to stay away from the crowds no mater what I'm fishing even ice fishing. Good luck.  Smile
Guess I'd like to add my 2 cents to the conversation.  Probably not worth that much but I digress.  I've tried Dipsy Divers, and I've tried a similar method as Liketrolling (50 ft wieght, 50 ft planer board, 50 ft off the side of the boat).  I've found that, after a seminar from Art Pierce from Kokanee Creek Tackle, his method works the best for me.  You have your regular setup of squid dodger or whatever you use to catch kokanee.  You attach your snap wieght about 2 ft or so from your dodger or the distance that you can net your fish and STILL have the snap weight attached to your line.  I use a similar chart to the one Liketrolling posted for amount of line do get to the desired depth and then attach the planer board, then out whatever distance I feel like away from the boat.  This usually depends on the amount of boat traffic in the area I'm fishing.  I found that I would loose fish using the 50-50-50 method because I would be taking the planer board off, then the weight and every time giving the fish a chance to get off.  This method the only opportunity for that happening is when releasing the board.  Also, I've found that if I set the line correctly in the board with a simple hookset the clip on the front of the board (on mine the orange clip) releases and only the clip on the back (the red clip) is attached to the line so you are not fighting the board as you come in.  I happen to use Off Shore planer boards and have thought about trying others, such as the clearboard, but just don't use the planers other than early spring and when I'm using six or more rods in the boat.  Dipsies seem to have the similar issues about releasing when hooking a fish and in my humble opinion are harder on your rods than snap weights.  I guess just like anything with fishing we experiment with it all until we find something that works for us.  One more reason I like snap weights is the flexibility to use lighter or heavier weights to get me to whatever depth I'm gunning for.  Good luck with whatever you choose!!!!
I posted some DIY planer board plans on BFT in 2008: Make your own planer boards

Left side

[Image: aqtaErt.jpg]

Right side

[Image: YrNCRxB.jpg]

There are some good tips on that DIY thread as well.  Enjoy!
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
How about running a dipsy diver off of a set up as shown in pics of the planner boards. No planner board, just a dipsy diver.

At the tail end of the diver, attached a downrigger release clip. Tension of the release on the DD so that it is not going to release when a fish takes the bait, rather the down rigger release will be released, then it is fish on with just you and the fish.

The DD is just taking the place of the ball essentially. to reset, bring in the diver and start all over.  This would allow for a long set back behind the diver, get the bait to the side of the boat, and remove the need for an expensive downrigger. 

Anyone ever try such a thing? I could not find anything online about a similar set up.  I would call it the A triple D (ADDD).

The diver could also be set out with a really stout pole to facilitate brining it back in to reset.

I would love to hear some feed back positive and negative.
(11-02-2020, 04:47 AM)ratnest Wrote: How about running a dipsy diver off of a set up as shown in pics of the planner boards. No planner board, just a dipsy diver.

At the tail end of the diver, attached a downrigger release clip. Tension of the release on the DD so that it is not going to release when a fish takes the bait, rather the down rigger release will be released, then it is fish on with just you and the fish.

The DD is just taking the place of the ball essentially. to reset, bring in the diver and start all over.  This would allow for a long set back behind the diver, get the bait to the side of the boat, and remove the need for an expensive downrigger. 

Anyone ever try such a thing? I could not find anything online about a similar set up.  I would call it the A triple D (ADDD).

The diver could also be set out with a really stout pole to facilitate brining it back in to reset.

I would love to hear some feed back positive and negative.

I use pretty much the exact setup you describe to troll with my inflatable kayak (attached picture) without the planner boards, but most likely what I do could possibly be adapted. But I only have experience with the using this setup for my solution to trolling down deep with my kayak.

I use a deep sea pole essentially as the "down rigger". The pole has a reel with a line counter and 30lb braided line.  I use a dipsy diver set really tight to never "release."  I then use a standard trolling release clip, just as you would on a down rigger, to attach my 2nd pole with Kokanee or any other setup.  I have a chart that comes with the dipsy diver that tells me how much line to let out on the "down rigger" pole to get the dipsy down to the desired depth (based on trolling speed). It's not 100% accurate because the drag of the 2nd attached line tends to pull the dipsy diver back further, making the line/depth off some, but I normally can see the dipsy in my fishfinder and release more line until desired depth is reached.

When the fish hit, "jerk" the line to break it lose from the release clip and game on.  The dipsy diver stays down and generally out of the way while I bring in the fish. I have a two person kayak and if another person is with me that day they real in the dipsy diver line to be sure its out of the way.

The nice thing about this setup is that I get to fight the fish without fighting the dipsy diver as well. The normal dipsy diver setup has everything on the line with the fish and you really fight the dipsy way more then the fish. This two pole setup has the same result as you have when fishing with a down rigger.  

When we have two of us in the kayak we use two of these setups. The dipsy divers have a setting that allows them to be left/middle/right behind/below the boat. The settings can keep them off to the right/left 10-20 feet depending on depth. We send one off to the left and one to the right and then typically drag a normal pole as the third line down the center with a top water setup.

I know for those with real boats and down riggers all this is not of much interest, but for those that want to troll down deep (25'-60'+) without the expense of down riggers I can tell you it works.  Having rod holders for all the rods is the key to keeping it manageable.  

Hope this provides some insight as to whether or not your idea is viable.  As long as you are willing to put all the components together it definitely works for trolling without the planner boards. I have caught lots of fish with the setup. 

Now, introducing the planner boards is another story but those that are familiar with all the issues could most likely adapt this to work if it made sense.

Allen

[Image: Kayak-with-motor-1920px.jpg]
Good to hear that I am not out of my mind, with this idea. Thanks for the feedback. An old ocean boat rod is exactly what I was thinking, since I have one or two with no use here.