Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Park Status
The State Parks COVID-19 Update page was updated today (4/22/2020) at 11:20 AM.  No change in status for Deer Creek or Jordanelle; both are STILL Open to County Residents Only.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Not disagreeing with what is on the state parks page, but I think they're behind.  Wasatch County has a new public health order that doesn't prohibit out of county travel or state park use.

" Consistent with the Governor’s most recent directive, state parks are open to visitors. However, because traveling increases the risk of spreading COVID-19, visitors are discouraged from coming in and out of Wasatch County."

3rd paragraph from below...

http://coronavirus.wasatch.utah.gov/Port...ase%29.pdf

I'd take a mask, not use Wasatch county services like gas stations etc, and go fishing.
(04-22-2020, 10:57 PM)leedraper Wrote: Not disagreeing with what is on the state parks page, but I think they're behind.  Wasatch County has a new public health order that doesn't prohibit out of county travel or state park use.

" Consistent with the Governor’s most recent directive, state parks are open to visitors. However, because traveling increases the risk of spreading COVID-19, visitors are discouraged from coming in and out of Wasatch County."

3rd paragraph from below...

http://coronavirus.wasatch.utah.gov/Port...ase%29.pdf

I'd take a mask, not use Wasatch county services like gas stations etc, and go fishing.

I am NOT trying to start a fight with you leedraper, but there isn't a county in the state that has the authority to dictate to a state park that it is open or closed.  The status of an individual park is controled by a state agency, not a county agency.  While you and I can/probably do agree that the lack of communication between county and state agencies is asinine and leaves a lot to be desired, they do have different bosses.  Yes, the Governor did say that the State Parks are open.  BUT - you left out that little caveat at the end of his statement where he said except for those parks residing in closed counties, like Wasatch.

Now that Wasatch has amended their directive to allow visitors, I expect that within a day or two, those State Parks residing in Wasatch County will be relisted to show open to all.  But as of 5 minutes ago, that hasn't been done yet.  At least not on the State Parks COVID-19 Update website.

I have plenty of other venues open to me, so I'll just wait a day or two to launch at Jordanelle.  I have absolutely no problem with you fishing there as you deem appropriate.  Tight lines to you and stay safe.

Bob Hicks, from Utah
The Parks & Recs folks finally found enough time to update the list of State Parks that are open to all.  Three parks were added to the 'Open To All' list today at 1:09 PM.  Deer Creek, Jordanelle, & Wasatch Mountain State Parks were added to the 'Open To All' list.  Here is a list of the 9 remaining State Parks that are still only open to 'County Residents Only'.
  1. Dead Horse Point State Park – Open to Grand & San Juan County Residents Only
  2. Echo State Park – Open to Summit County Residents Only
  3. Goblin Valley State Park – Open to Emery County Residents Only
  4. Green River State Park and Golf Course – Open to Emery County Residents Only
  5. Historic Union Pacific Rail Trail State Park – Open to Summit County Residents Only
  6. Huntington State Park – Open to Emery County Residents Only
  7. Millsite State Park – Open to Emery County Residents Only
  8. Rockport State Park – Open to Summit County Residents Only
  9. Scofield State Park – Open to Carbon & Utah County Residents Only
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks for the update, Bob.

As you can see the remaining parks that are closed are in the high population areas. Huh
Things were updated today about 10:30am.
They opened up Millsite and Huntington today. Smile

<span title="smilie17" class="smilie smilie_" style="font-size[img] Confused.png[/img]mall">Now we don't have to drive past them to go fishing. Tongue
Thanks for the info, it's very helpful.
Still closed: 

1. Dead Horse Point State Park – Open to Grand & San Juan County Residents Only
  2. Echo State Park – Open to Summit County Residents Only
  3. Historic Union Pacific Rail Trail State Park – Open to Summit County Residents Only
  4. Rockport State Park – Open to Summit County Residents Only

So essentially, ALL State Park fishing venues, except Rockport & Echo (Summit County), are now open to all.  We're almost there folks.   Cool

And this was posted yesterday as well, so that portion of Dead Horse Point State Park in San Juan County is open to visitors but the portion in Grand County is still closed to visitors.  Doesn't matter to most of the folks on this board because there isn't any fishing to be done there.

Quote:State Parks in San Juan County are open to all visitors. Additional information is available at: https://stateparks.utah.gov/2020/03/16/c...9-updates/ For current information on Federal Parks and recreation areas, please visit: https://www.utahscanyoncountry.com/covid19-travel 

So right now, we are looking at 6 more days of waiting to fish Rockport & Echo.  I hope to be able to get up to Jordanelle on Monday to have a go at some kokanee.  My bottled fish stock is extremely low, and in case you haven't been watching the news lately, we are about to see shortages in grocery store meat counters big time.

While we are starting to see some restrictions loosened up a bit, the over all impact on our daily lives is a long way from being over.  You may want to keep that in mind going forward.  Keeping a few more fish for consumption than you have in the past might be a smart move on your part.  Think about it. 
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Thanks dubob for all your effort on the State Parks issue. I'm sure a lot of other folks appreciate it also.
(04-26-2020, 09:10 PM)Cowboy-up Wrote: Thanks dubob for all your effort on the State Parks issue. I'm sure a lot of other folks appreciate it also.

Thank YOU, and you are entirely welcome.  With not a whole lot of things to do recently and being told to stay home at every turn, it's kept me busy looking up the facts and dispelling the rumors.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Does anyone know if Smith & Morehouse is open to all and ice free?

It’s not a state park, but IS in Summit County, so I assume county residents only?

Thanks, Linda
(04-27-2020, 04:25 AM)ShesGoneFishin Wrote: Does anyone know if Smith & Morehouse is open to all and ice free?

It’s not a state park, but IS in Summit County, so I assume county residents onlyThat is correct.  Until 11:59 PM on May 1, 2020.  I have no information on ability to get there by vehicle or ice conditions.

Thanks, Linda
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Hey all, the radio today said the Governor may back track some on the State Park openins.  So many people went out that they overwhelmed some of the State Parks.  I did not get all of the details, but with the awesome weather and the cabin fever, I guess it was almost to be expected.
I heard it was the State Parks down south QC, SH, Gunlock.  I'm not sure why they were overrun since there were never any restrictions on them.

It must have been the nice weather.
https://www.ksl.com/article/46746112/sta...strictions

This is what was on KSL.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(04-21-2020, 01:15 PM)dubob Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 08:21 AM)Onemadfisherman Wrote: Some of you guys crack me up. I have a state fishing licence. If I'm fishing on a lake in Utah then I'm good. I will take my chances with the law. You all put up with Barney Fife at Mantua, right? I' ll take my chance of the same at any water I choose to fish in this state and have no qualms. Big Grin

Well, Bob. I refuse to live in fear. The numbers for this virus never added up for me to "care". But thanks for the self rightious lecture. I'll try and pass it on to my 4 year old. Hope to see you on the lake soon. Have a great virtue signalling day.

Now there's an atitude to be proud of and pass on to the next generation.  "It's all about ME and what I want; to heck with society."  Thanks for caring.  
(04-28-2020, 06:22 AM)Onemadfisherman Wrote: Well, Bob. I refuse to live in fear. The numbers for this virus never added up for me to "care".  But thanks for the self rightious lecture. I'll try and pass it on to my 4 year old. Hope to see you on the lake soon. Have a great virtue signalling day.
Yep - its all about "me" and "I" don't care about the rest of you.  "I" can do whatever "I" want because "my" fuzzy math says the rest of you don't matter.  Now THAT'S an attitude a 4-year old can be real proud of for sure.   Confused

Most of us DO care about this issue even though you don't.  I certainly don't want to take ANY chances with possibly spreading this virus to somebody else because I'm too self centered to even consider that my actions just might cause harm to somebody else.  And if I have a choice, I'll pass on seeing you on the lake.

(04-28-2020, 03:21 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: https://www.ksl.com/article/46746112/sta...strictions

This is what was on KSL.
Here are some quotes from that KSL article that I thought were appropriate to Mr. I-don't-care:
KSL Wrote:But as the world grapples with how to contain the spread of the new coronavirus, Saturday’s massive crowds at state parks became a potential disaster.
KSL Wrote:Eugene Swalberg, public affairs coordinator for Utah State Parks said. “So for the next few weeks, or the foreseeable future, we’re not going to have primitive or dispersed camping on beach areas at Sand Hollow specifically, but also other popular sites like Yuba and Fred Hayes State Park (Starvation Reservoir). We’re going to eliminate it at Sand Hollow and we could curtail it elsewhere.”  He said the new rules were effective immediately.
KSL Wrote:“The big message for us is that the public is welcome to come and visit,” he said. “The second is responsible recreation. . . .  We’re going to have to change some of our behaviors to keep everyone safe.
KSL Wrote:We hope you’re part of the solution if you come,” he said. “We see recreation is essential. We need that as part of our lives, and that’s a good thing. But we also have to change our mindset.
KSL Wrote:State parks in Moab and Summit counties are still closed to visitors who do not live in those counties. Both are under public health orders, which Swalberg said take precedence over the governor’s decision to reopen state parks to all visitors.
An "I don't care" attitude isn't going to cut it.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
you either fish or
CUT BAIT
somebodies cutting hard
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Quote: 
KSL Wrote:Eugene Swalberg, public affairs coordinator for Utah State Parks said. “So for the next few weeks, or the foreseeable future, we’re not going to have primitive or dispersed camping on beach areas at Sand Hollow specifically, but also other popular sites like Yuba and Fred Hayes State Park (Starvation Reservoir). We’re going to eliminate it at Sand Hollow and we could curtail it elsewhere.”  He said the new rules were effective immediately. 

Does this mean that camping is allowed in the omproved camp sites and just not in the primitive areas? Wrote:Does this mean that camping is allowed in the improved /reservable camp sites and just not in the primitive areas?
Sunrise on the water