Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Kayak Fishing Trip
Last Summer I bought my first kayak, Teton Angler 10'...mainly to be used for my duck hunting problem...works great....Not tippy, has the rod holders built in, says Angler on the side, so thought I'd give it a try...for fishing....I figured it'd be a little awkward for trolling, but that's what I do, and wanted to try it that way, for when I can go to E. Canyon, or RP, Echo, maybe Lost C....So yesterday (Sat,) I took it to my local Bountiful Pond for my amateur hour (and a half), starting at 1100...I met a buddy out there with his float tube, so I was able to go around both islands a couple times, trolling, while he could only go so far with the tube, fly fishing...good fresh air and exercise for both of us, so we had a good outing...My first set produced nothing (not surprising - hey - we're at Btfl Pond) so after 45 mins I switched from smaller rainbow Luhr-Jensen spoon, to 2" rainbow Rapala, tipped with little pc of nite crawler...I met up with my buddy one more time about noon, telling him I about had enough, and he hadn't had any hits either...With my rod tip up high and slightly behind me, I can't 'see' if I get a hit, so had to leave the 'bail' open, with clicker on, so I could 'hear' if I ever got a hit....I got a hit !! and I heard it...zzziiingg!  I thought it was a snag, or maybe a carp, cuz it didn't move at first....then I reeled a little, it took off...walleye?,carp?, bass? who knows, at Btfl Pond....rod bending, kayak going every which way, my buddy came over to check it out...hey, a real fish..at Bountiful Pond..and in my kayak!  He said he'd try to net it, but his net was too small...said it looked to be silver....I got it closer to my 'Yak'...(I can call it a 'yak' now, cuz I got a fish, right?) It Was huge, one of those very large breed stock 'bows, this one about 20"...very healthy looking, just a couple fins a little ragetty...got him safely released with my buddy's pliers (again, my maiden voyage) ... so I was happy and ready to head back...got to use my kayak ('yak) fishing, caught a fish, gave the shore crowd a show, socially distance fished with a buddy, got some good air and exercise...what a day...well, hour and a half....got some improvements to do on my 'yak', but hope to get it out again soon (somewhere else) ..Guluk...
Yup, you're officially a yakker! They are fun to fish from and the yak will give you access to places that are unreachable by hoof or boat. I use mine to maneuver into shallow areas among the reeds at UL in search of big catfish. I can drag baits in deeper water on two poles but that can lead to some awful tangleups if you can't reel in the second pole "reel"fast.
Mine is a Cabelas model, sit on type, and it is very stable. I would'nt want to run the Colorado River in it but very stable for my type of fishing. Supposed to be stable enough to stand up in/on but not for me, I have trouble standing on dry ground.
There are quite a few BFters who use kayaks to chase cats. The yaks are versatile and easy to transport. As with anything in the fishing world they can become addictive with seemingly endless add-ons and must haves. Good luck with yours.
BLK
[Image: DSC01083.jpg]
Yeah, I can see where trolling with 2 rods won't work for me...tangle town for sure....I can see your rod holder(s) just up front a little, and know I need to do that, for sure on one side...are yours installed on a rail, or just screwed into the plastic? Any problem paddling with where yours are located? tks...maybe going to E.C. this week with it...
My rod holders are set in the rails with mounts I got from Yak Attack... i think? Anyway the mounts have two anchor points for each holder. They are sturdy enough to withstand a monster cat from twisting them out of the rail. Wink I have the holders spaced so that they do not interfer with oars.

It can be tough to fish two rods when the action starts... one hand to fight fish, one to "reel" in second pole, and another to hold the oar. Mostly I fish with one but always have a back-up ready.
Tell you what, those yaks are tempting, but guess I'll stick with the toon. I do love the personalized access they give so you can fish just the way you want to. Just wish MinnKota made a small electric motor like the Terrova that I could afford for a pontoon. I'd love to drive using a remote control to steer and have easy speed control and consistent direction when you let go of the tiller to fight a fish. Or spot lock for when you,re over a crappie pile on Pineview. I like the toon, but hate to wear waders so new propulsion would be great!!  Congrats on the nice fish and new yak usage. Sounds like you have a new source of fun. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
after my first yak experience this weekend out there during the lincoln war times i can tell you theyre great! i do have a really bad back and after 4 hours or so had to call it a trip but im already looking into other seats  Big Grin
Uh oh...Now you've done it. A 'yak is like any other boat: you'll soon be thinking "If I only had..." and that will lead to trade-ups and accessory buys until you end up with a pedal-powered aircraft carrier of a kayak with electronics, lights, and a La-Z-Boy recliner. I know, because I started with a Hobie 14' Pro Angler just to avoid all that build-up. Gonna end up at the top, so may as well just start there!
(04-19-2020, 05:44 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: . . . for when I can go to E. Canyon . . .

Joe, East Canyon was posted/shown as OPEN on the Utah State Parks COVID-19 Updates website on 04/17/2020 at 1:53 p.m.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Hey Rocky -- yeah, those 'peddle pushers' do look like a good ride..I enjoy watching the 'Hobie Outdoors' program once in awhile....mine is mainly for the marshes in the Fall, so I can't decorate it too much....maybe a duck hunt dvd while I'm trolling? I am trying to see if I can attach my old Hummin Bird Fish n Buddy..hope that works..
Hey Bob -- I may be heading there Tues.  tks...